New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Well, gee. I guess the manufacturer just put that in the manual for kicks. 🙂

show us that page in your manual. you might be misinterpreting it

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Shifting to Drive WHILE engine is in high RPM ... is different from going high RPM AFTER shifting to Drive ...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Let's not all get carried away.

I believe what the manual was cautioning about pertains to high-idle during the initial start-up of a cold engine. Depending on the specific vehicle, high-idle could be anywhere between 1,200 - 1,500 RPM, give or take. At this point, shifting to any of the drive gears could result in an unexpected jolt and for inexperienced drivers, could potentially lead to an accident.

It is not to say that you can't do it. Rather, it's recommended that you let it run for a few seconds while you settle down and buckle up. That's enough time for the oil in the engine and A/T or CVT to build up oil pressure. And a few seconds is enough for the high-idle to taper down from its peak,

And of course, be mindful of the jolt.... firmly step on the brakes before shifting. Don't just feather on the brakes to deactivate the shift interlock.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    https://www.nissan.co.th/content/dam...anual%20EN.pdf

page 269 bullet point no.7

Keep the engine at idling speed while shifting from the "N" position to any driving position.
    To me "idling speed" refers to the normal idle speed at <1000 RPM. The speed at which your transmission "creeps" when left alone without accelerator pedal input at level roads in D. The cold idle speed of this car is at 1,600 RPM, enough to accelerate briskly already.

I concede that the manual doesn't explicitly say it will have an effect on CVT longevity. But you are still putting additional stress/wear on the transmission when you shift it at cold idle speed.

Manual also says to warm up the engine before driving off.
    page 268 no. 5

Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds after starting the engine to warm-up. Drive at moderate speeds for a short distance first, especially in cold weather.
    Agree with OJ, it's not that warming up is required. But it is recommended by the manufacturer.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I prefer frequent oil change, and 5min warm up, or first bar.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    https://www.nissan.co.th/content/dam...anual%20EN.pdf

page 269 bullet point no.7

To me "idling speed" refers to the normal idle speed at <1000 RPM. The speed at which your transmission "creeps" when left alone without accelerator pedal input at level roads in D. The cold idle speed of this car is at 1,600 RPM, enough to accelerate briskly already.

I concede that the manual doesn't explicitly say it will have an effect on CVT longevity. But you are still putting additional stress/wear on the transmission when you shift it at cold idle speed.

Manual also says to warm up the engine before driving off.
    page 268 no. 5

Agree with OJ, it's not that warming up is required. But it is recommended by the manufacturer.

see i told you you were misinterpreting. "cold idle speed" is actually idling speed like the name says LOL just don't rev up the engine then throw it into drive for reasons oj88 mentioned

engaging D at 1500rpm is no problem. as mentioned there's a slushbox between engine and CVT so that extra 500rpm will just slosh the ATF just a bit more

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456