The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Well if it is a hot day, 40 could even be more useful

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    I suggest the first time you use the vehicle in the morning, have the engine warm-up for 5 minutes idle before using/driving it, at least mainit na sa loob and the oil has lubricated your engine/pistons because cold thicker oil moves slowly at first, so wala naman gaanong problema
    No need, unless you live in frigid weather.

The oil used is 5W-x multigrade. A few seconds of "warmup" will do.... about the time to settle down and buckle up. Just drive easily as you get out of your driveway and progressively drive normally as the engine coolant approaches operating temp.

3. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    No need, unless you live in frigid weather.

The oil used is 5W-x multigrade. A few seconds of "warmup" will do.... about the time to settle down and buckle up. Just drive easily as you get out of your driveway and progressively drive normally as the engine coolant approaches operating temp.

Boss oj88, yun bang Top1 synthetic oil na 15W40 hindi na kailangan i warm-up yun? Kasi yung uncle ko ganun parati ginagawa niya, warm-up muna mga 5 minutes bago lumakad, and he is using an Isuzu Crosswind 2014 diesel.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Boss oj88, yun bang Top1 synthetic oil na 15W40 hindi na kailangan i warm-up yun? Kasi yung uncle ko ganun parati ginagawa niya, warm-up muna mga 5 minutes bago lumakad, and he is using an Isuzu Crosswind 2014 diesel.
    A Honda gas engine is way different from an old-tech Isuzu diesel engine. For Honda car engines (2006 onwards), just stay within the suggested viscosities (0w20, 5w30, 5w40, 10w30).

If you want to use affordable yet good synthetic oils, you can buy from Lazada these brands - Hyundai Xteer, Zic, Amsoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I suggest the first time you use the vehicle in the morning, have the engine warm-up for 5 minutes idle before using/driving it
    Seriously? Are we back in the 70s? ...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Warm-up by idling for a several minutes is not needed and is a waste of fuel.

Warm-up by driving it easily at first, and then progressively driving it like normal, is better. No fuel is wasted and the time it takes for the engine to reach operating temp is shorter.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    5w40 is still thin enough with no need to warm the engine prior to moving on. I would suggest this viscosity as the thickest for use as a FS option. Some semi-synthetic oils already have this viscosity.

For mineral oil, 10w30 for newer gas cars and 10w40 for older gas cars.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Warm-up by idling for a several minutes is not needed and is a waste of fuel.

Warm-up by driving it easily at first, and then progressively driving it like normal, is better. No fuel is wasted and the time it takes for the engine to reach operating temp is shorter.
    If your car has an engine cold indicator, you can use that as reference. The blue color indicator lights up during start then disappears once optimal temperature is achieved.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If your car has an engine cold indicator, you can use that as reference. The blue color indicator lights up during start then disappears once optimal temperature is achieved.
    Unfortunately, when the light goes out, it doesn't mean it's 'proper' operating temp already. Engines don't go from ambient temperature to 90°C in a span of a few seconds. I still recommend that you feather it for the first several minutes while driving on the road to allow the engine to get near or at operating temp. After which, feel free to let her rip.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Valharth1031 View Post
    Hello, guys. This is probably a noob question but I recently just got an oil change a few days ago for my 2017 Honda HRV at ValuePlus. I specifically told the shop at appointment and TWICE before beginning the job to use 0W-20 oil as recommended by the manual. Since bihira naman lumamig dito sa atin; if not available, probably 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10W-30 as this is what the manual says I can use. After doing the job, I discovered on the receipt that they used 5W-40, a thicker oil. Should I be concerned and have the oil changed immediately? Makaka-damage ba ito ng engine? Ngayon lang kasi nangyari sa akin na hindi ayon sa manual ang nagamit.

Iba-iba ang opinion sa ibang forum sites (mostly foreign sites), sabi ng iba okay lang daw kung mainit ang weather natin pero sabi naman ng iba masyadong malapot daw baka mahirapan ang makina.

I asked the shop why this happened even though I told them so many times about what I needed. Sabi sa akin "wala po kami ganung oil sir". Nainis ako nun sa loob loob kasi ngayon lang talaga nila sasabihin pero kinausap ko ng maayos. Paulit ulit pa sinasabi ng lalake sa counter na mukhang supervisor na same lang daw un kahit sa loob loob ko hindi talaga kaya nga different specs. Nainis ako kasi kulang sila sa communication sa customer, di nakikinig. Umalis na lang din ako pagkatapos.

Salamat po sa sasagot.
    this is a three-year old car.
    i am wondering, what type oil has it been using before?
    does casa have the requisite 0W-20 oil?
    is it possible, the car has already been on a more viscous grade of oil even before?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast