New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Hello, guys. This is probably a noob question but I recently just got an oil change a few days ago for my 2017 Honda HRV at ValuePlus. I specifically told the shop at appointment and TWICE before beginning the job to use 0W-20 oil as recommended by the manual. Since bihira naman lumamig dito sa atin; if not available, probably 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10W-30 as this is what the manual says I can use. After doing the job, I discovered on the receipt that they used 5W-40, a thicker oil. Should I be concerned and have the oil changed immediately? Makaka-damage ba ito ng engine? Ngayon lang kasi nangyari sa akin na hindi ayon sa manual ang nagamit.

Iba-iba ang opinion sa ibang forum sites (mostly foreign sites), sabi ng iba okay lang daw kung mainit ang weather natin pero sabi naman ng iba masyadong malapot daw baka mahirapan ang makina.

I asked the shop why this happened even though I told them so many times about what I needed. Sabi sa akin "wala po kami ganung oil sir". Nainis ako nun sa loob loob kasi ngayon lang talaga nila sasabihin pero kinausap ko ng maayos. Paulit ulit pa sinasabi ng lalake sa counter na mukhang supervisor na same lang daw un kahit sa loob loob ko hindi talaga kaya nga different specs. Nainis ako kasi kulang sila sa communication sa customer, di nakikinig. Umalis na lang din ako pagkatapos.

Salamat po sa sasagot.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    you'll be fine, your fc will be a little higher(1-3%)

you won't hurt anything.

next time you ask for an oil change, check the bottle first and also the filter. That's what I do from the shops.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    you'll be fine, your fc will be a little higher(1-3%)

you won't hurt anything.

next time you ask for an oil change, check the bottle first and also the filter. That's what I do from the shops.
    Will do. Thanks for the advice!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Just use the car regularly.. the might not notice the change in fuel consumption especially on city driving.. one reason why manufacturers recommend lower oil viscosity is to reach their promised FC..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You can buy from Lazada the Amsoil 0w20 FS oil. Our Hondas before used such oil from the casa and it works well in our climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Forget about it until your next change oil. No need to worry at walang mangyayari sa kotse mo.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The fact that they put the oil without your permission is already a warning.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    No worries naman if they used 5w40 as the R18 engine (same as the Civic 1.8L) can use varying viscosities ranging from 0w20 to 10w30. However, they should have told you that 5w40 is the oil they intended to use.

If you want to be sure of the oil that you intend to use, I suggest you buy them on your own. Monitor the engine response with the thicker oil and if you observe that it is not as it was, you can change the oil.

Last edited by Egan101; August 3rd, 2020 at 10:07 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    you should be good no need to over think it. just go on with your normal maintenance schedule here on. i even doubt you would feel the potential fuel consumption change. traffic conditions would be vastly more of a factor in fuel consumption especially in our settings.

10. Join Date
    May 2017
    I suggest the first time you use the vehicle in the morning, have the engine warm-up for 5 minutes idle before using/driving it, at least mainit na sa loob and the oil has lubricated your engine/pistons because cold thicker oil moves slowly at first, so wala naman gaanong problema

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast