New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Cefiro we get is tuned the same as the JDM Cefiro. Most of our Nissan passenger cars were. Since they're too lazy to retune them for local conditions, most of them from the late 90's time period were stickered "95 Octane Unleaded Only".

Never had any problems from that on the Sentra, but it definitely felt better on higher octane. The Cefiro isn't so lucky.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Cefiro we get is tuned the same as the JDM Cefiro. Most of our Nissan passenger cars were. Since they're too lazy to retune them for local conditions, most of them from the late 90's time period were stickered "95 Octane Unleaded Only".
    Philippine gov't must mandate car manufacturers to retune all cars and accept 89 or 91 octanes,95 octane on every day traffic conditions is i think a waste of money.How about those ford SUV?here we run them on 89 octane.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    Philippine gov't must mandate car manufacturers to retune all cars and accept 89 or 91 octanes,95 octane on every day traffic conditions is i think a waste of money.How about those ford SUV?here we run them on 89 octane.
    The Philippines uses a different octane rating than the US, the 89 octane you mention would be a 95 in the Philippines and the 91/93 in the US is a 98 in the Philippines.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    The Philippines uses a different octane rating than the US, the 89 octane you mention would be a 95 in the Philippines and the 91/93 in the US is a 98 in the Philippines.
    thanks,Where can i find this info?What is the lowest and highest octane avail. in the the philippines gas pump?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't know if the info for the Philippine ratings are available online, but the Philippines uses RON (research octane number) versus the US AKI (anti-knock-index). The conversion isn't exact, but what redorange says is approximately correct.

All Japanese market cars can correct down to the supposed "high octane" here, but some cars don't like regular unleaded... I'm not sure, but I think this is also a problem with older Evos (not sure about the new ones).

Lowest in the metro is 92 RON (about 87 AKI), but there are places selling 89 RON Regular (probably as piss poor as 84-85 AKI... I think two stroke motorcycle engines run on this). Highest regular is 95 RON... equivalent to about 90 AKI, while "boutique" gasolines range from 95-97 (maybe 92-93 AKI).

But these conversions aren't exact, as you need to know the MON (Motor Octane Number) of the gas to get the exact conversion (AKI = AVG:RON+MON), so a 95 RON gas could be anywhere between 90 AKI or 95 AKI.
    Last edited by niky; January 15th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Cefiro definitely has a knock sensor... (VQ engine).

The highest octane rating commercialy available is on Petron Blaze at 96... used to be 97 pa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Engine knock