New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hello, I need advised sa engine ko, this morning I went to top hill it's about 12 kms deretso, when reach sa taas, masyadong mataas ang engine temp more than 3/4 ng temp gauge, but regular driving sa city or high way d temp ay below half lang siya, need advised on my engine cooling system. thanks

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    medyo kulang ang information na binigay mo para sa concern mo,but anyway may i ask you this,ano kotse mo? gas or diesel? did you check the coolant level? if not,.check mo muna coolant level,if ok,,then the problem of yopur concerned is either thermostat or temp sensor,,pls have somebody to check that.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I have surplus nissan terrano TD27T engine deisel, coolant level is okay, new thermostat, saan makikita yong temp sensor? city driving even traffic w/ aircon no problem, just this morning I went to hill top then I noticed the temp is going high, but the water is not boiling, mataas lang ang temp niya. thanks

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    How steep is the hill?

Sounds normal if you had a full load and were going up the hilll with AC too.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yes w/ aircon, 5 person, I can compare like canon road in Baguio.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Then it's normal. You have a full load with 5 people and with AC. Engine is pushing the car up the incline with a full load and with the extra load of AC so it has to work more.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    This is my observation, when I reach the top hill I stop with the engine is running in 5-10 mins the temp is going back almost to normal temp below half. what do you think the temp is normal in that kind of situation? thanks

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    mbeige: are you from anahiem CA? I can give you example how steep the hill like grape vine in I-5.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The temp in those conditions will increase and there is no standard because you're not driving straight in a level surface. When you change the inclination of a road, you're adding more work to the engine. Add to that your 5 passengers and use of AC, so those add up to make it a non standard situation.

In this case since your temp went back to normal when you reached the top of the hill (good that you didn't shut it off to let it cool down) then I would say that you have no problems and the car just showed you signs of increased engine load.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by addison06 View Post
    mbeige: are you from anahiem CA? I can give you example how steep the hill like grape vine in I-5.
    Yes I am.

Then that is really steep. I have friends who have gone up those hills with their diesels and their temps went up but came back to normal when it levelled off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
engine getting high temp during uphill