New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    hey guys, I was on my way to pampanga on NLEX running an average 110kph. Out of nowhere, my engine lost power, at the same time I noticed the fuel gauge die down with yellow light on then went back to normal reading. fortunately I was able to swerve to the rightmost road and just park there.

Nothing seemed out of the normal, then no power on the pedal. then I noticed the engine shut off. I did not overheat, the temp was normal with good coolant/water level. I checked the plug sockets and moved the cables around, it was all fine as it seemed. At first, when i would try to restart the car, it would choke less than 1thou rpm, then die a second after. Battery was still strong as the starter would just keep turning. I checked for fuel pressure and it seemed fine.

Finally i tried to check fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel hose and cranked the engine, I would've expected the fuel to squirt out but none. Would this be the culprit? I noticed this cuz the engine had a hard time starting when there was still fuel pressure, but then when there was no pressure at all, the starter would just crank but the engine would not fire at all. (but this damn fuel pump is still new, less than a year old!)

No other symptoms were noticeable the past few weeks, so this is just out of the blue when it happened. What else could be the possible problems? I am very confused.

Here's some recent work done in the past few months
    Top gasket overhaul kit (engine is so much better now with this work done)
    oil change
    new spark plugs
    new radiator with new fluids
    new thermostat
    new transmission and differential fluids

Ride is a '98 316i E36. with these I can't find any other problem, and the engine always idles and runs very smoothly. wtf, what a merry christmas! Help please! thank you!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Check the timing belt, don't try to start or crank the engine anymore. If it's the timing belt and you try to crank it, it might destroy the valves.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    From your statement it might be your fuel pump . What i also encounter when fuel pump is mulfunction symptoms there are time that it is okay and not.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    checked the valves and they were all cranking properly, so it wasn't the timing belt thankfuly.

it was so simple! damn fuse #18 15amperes! thank you so much, if only i had a cooler head I would've checked the damn fuse box early on! Cheers and happy holidays! car is running again. woohoo!

engine died while running at 100kph on highway, HELP PLEASE!