New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    A colleague of mine prefers the Color of the coolant NOT the same color as rust. As he mentioned, the one in Shell is color orange. Not sure about this.
    His reasoning is how will he know if the radiator has rust already if the coolant is color orange.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Macmon View Post
    A colleague of mine prefers the Color of the coolant NOT the same color as rust. As he mentioned, the one in Shell is color orange. Not sure about this.
    His reasoning is how will he know if the radiator has rust already if the coolant is color orange.
    That's not really true. With the proper coolant, you shouldn't have any rust at all. And besides, if you do have a rust problem, the water will become cloudy/muddy orange (as opposed to clear orange) and would coat every surface it touches with rust. To do a proper inspection, check the radiator cap pressure relief spring/valve or other areas where coolant water has passed through like the reservoir bottle, for tell-tale signs of rust.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While water has a higher heat capacity than coolant, a low-coolant high-water mix is not necessarily superior... the higher heat capacity is more than offset by the lower boiling point, which lessens the effectiveness of the cooling system. Water is only more effective until it boils... once it's boiling, it loses its ability to cool the engine effectively.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Pure water == faster rust. I just use Prestone pre-mixed para di hassle. And make sure your radiator fins are always clean to make it efficient in heat transfer.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Pure water is better than using coolant. Distilled drinking water is best for your cooling system. Kung gagamit ka ng tap water, ok din, basta masipag ka lang mag-palit ng tubig (flush)..every month.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver1432000 View Post
    Pure water is better than using coolant. Distilled drinking water is best for your cooling system. Kung gagamit ka ng tap water, ok din, basta masipag ka lang mag-palit ng tubig (flush)..every month.
    You'll still need to use some additives because plain water will just rust the insides of the radiator. Rust will just build up at the bottom and in the small tubes. With enough accumulation, the tubes can get blocked.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    You'll still need to use some additives because plain water will just rust the insides of the radiator. Rust will just build up at the bottom and in the small tubes. With enough accumulation, the tubes can get blocked.
    +1000000000

experienced that already even if you clean or flush the radiator regularly

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Tanong ko lang mga bro, may dapat bang gamitin pag mag-flush ng tubig sa radiator para matanggal yung rust, kac yung kotse ko hindi ko alam kung may coolant, nagdadagdag lang ako ng tubig pag medyo may bawas na, kasi nabili ko yung car january of this year, gusto ko nga mag-flush ng radiator para mapalitan ko na ng may coolant mixture, although di pa naman ako nakaranas mag-overheat eh, ayoko pang intaying mangyari yun.
    Thanks!!!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    ok lang pang flush ang tap water as long na di ka nakakaranas na tumataas ang temperature

do it at least two times for two days para matanggal ng husto ang mga latak at dumi sa loob ng radiator

basta't malinis na yung lumalabas na tubig sa radiator ready na yan lagyan ng coolant

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    if i remember correectly most guys over at BITOG advocate "silicate" free coolants for hondas because apparently hondas have small rubber parts in their cooling systems. silicate in the coolant has a nasty habit of drying out and flaking, and when it flakes, the little particles clog up the system, gel, or destroy the rubber/plastic based parts of the system. years ago i recall wondering why the factory bought coolant for the nissans (white bottle, green fluid) would dry out and leave a hard, flaky residue where i spilled it or at the bottle's mouth. baka ito yun, kako.

i remember having a hard time looking for a coolant without the said ingredient (check the back lable of the bottle where the list of components is listed). some variants of prestone had it, as did shell (yoko bumili na Honda coolant, parang overkill na kasi eh). the only one who didn't have it was caltex long life, balck bottle, concentrate, red fluid. i put that in. it was also the brand recommended at BITOG, where it's called chevron/texaco or something.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Engine coolant: Is water enough?