New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Good day, I have a 1989 Toyota Townace originally with 2CT engine and rear drive Automatic Transmission, and converted to 3CT (originally with 4x4 auto transmission, but I did not bought it because the transmission of the
    2CT can fit to the 3CT.

Now I have 2 inquiries to about the conversion:

First, It does not shift to 3rd and higher until the temp gauge reaches half, so it needs preheating first, is this normal? What do I need to do?

Second, I am not convinced of the connection of vaccuum hoses installed, they removed 4 actuators so they bypassed some connections: Please see drawing below on how it was interconnected:

Connection Details:
    01 to 02
    03 to 08
    04 to 05
    06 (filter)
    07 tapped to (01 to 02)
    09 to (O O) I'm not sure what to call this, or its function.
    10 to 13
    11 tapped to (09 to O O)
    12 tapped to (10 to 13)
    14 tapped to (10 to 13)

Note: It works fine, but if there is a correct standard connection or better
    configuration, kindly please share and it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced, experts.

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    usually, toyota transmission wont shift to 4th(overdrive) kung di pa nya reach ang normal temp. dont know why lang kung bakit di sya shift on 3rd on cold temp.
    you can get more answers here. www.toyotadiesel.com pagdating duns sa wiring connections. hth

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    also had an engine transplant from 2CT to 3CT(supposedly from a Toyota Sports Van/Picnic) for my 1990 townace super-extra back in 2007...still also working out the vacuum lines but got some help from www.townace.com, just search thru the topics....

for the shifting, the auto tranny oil does need to reach operating temp before it readily & smoothly up-shifts. Have noted that the tranny oil heats up quicker when moved thru the gears (this was also explained to me when I had the tranny oil changed). as per experience, speed is the critical item needed to upshift to higher gears....

BTW...did your 3CT engine have the same height as your orig 2CT? Mine fit the engine supports exactly but was taller so I had to jack up the engine covers 3 inches. Had to have an additonal metal sheet fabricated to cover the gap....

Engine Conversion from Toyota 2CT to 3CT