New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    The belt doesnt completely wrap the crankshaft pulley because the compressor and power steering pumps is in the left and right side of the engine.
    The tensioner or one of the other pulleys (ie. water pump) pushes against the belt to wrap it around the crank pulley as much as possible to maximize grip.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Ano signs na dapat nang palitan ang timing belt? kakatune-up lang kasi ng 98 lancer el ko. sabi ng mekaniko samen ok pa daw ang timing belt. tsaka magkano naman aabutin ng palit ng timing belt? thanks mga tsikoteers!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    70k to 80k mileage

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arnarn View Post
    Ano signs na dapat nang palitan ang timing belt? kakatune-up lang kasi ng 98 lancer el ko. sabi ng mekaniko samen ok pa daw ang timing belt. tsaka magkano naman aabutin ng palit ng timing belt? thanks mga tsikoteers!
    It should be mentioned in the owner's manual. It will indicate that the timing belt be replaced after x number of kilometers or y number of years, whichever comes first.

Replace the timing belt ON or BEFORE any of the conditions stated in the manual (no. of km traveled or number of years used) is reached. Don't wait for any signs of wear to appear before you replace them. Belts are inexpensive... A new engine isn't.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah, the timing belt is not something you want to scrimp on.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I don't think that drive belts (in a car's engine) are designed to slip. If so, you'll be hearing squeals every time the A/C kicks in, for instance.

In fact, squealing is one sign that the belt tensioner needs adjustment or that the belt itself has stretched beyond it's service life.

Most modern cars have wider multi-groove belts that mates with pulleys that have multi-grooves as well. This adds grip between the belt and the pulleys it's turning to mitigate slipping. And since there's less sliding, it's quieter.

(See cross-section of the belts below) The older or traditional belt which was prone to squealing is known as the v-belt (left). While the multi-groove belt is better known as the serpentine belt (right).

Did some reading last night.

This is from Automotive Mechanics 10th edition by Crouse-Anglin. Page 334
    " Sometimes a good belt will slip and squeal even if properly tensioned. A belt dressing can be applied to friction sides of the belt. This may eliminate noise and increase friction. However, some manufacturers recommend not using belt dressing."

I can do more research if your not yet convinced.
    Or you can pass by Central Diesel for an actual.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Did some reading last night.

This is from Automotive Mechanics 10th edition by Crouse-Anglin. Page 334
    " Sometimes a good belt will slip and squeal even if properly tensioned. A belt dressing can be applied to friction sides of the belt. This may eliminate noise and increase friction. However, some manufacturers recommend not using belt dressing."

I can do more research if your not yet convinced.
    Or you can pass by Central Diesel for an actual.
    Good morning 4JGtootsie!

That statement is correct. If you read between the lines, the article implies that there should be good friction between the belt and pulley, to the point of spraying belt dressing to increase friction. I agree with the manufacturers, however... use belt dressing as a last resort.

Anyway, this discussion has gone too far and off topic. I'll just leave you with my final word about it. It is my contention that drive belt slippage is not desirable. Where there's slip, there's power transmission loss.

Here are a couple of videos which shows this fact.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvLEnPeKj5o"]YouTube - Supercharged 2002 jetta vr6 belt Slip[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDGBblXQ1A"]YouTube - 1994 paseo steering pump belt slippage[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Nice videos.
    If you have a diesel vehicle (even gas), i am still inviting you sa shop at 1176 Quezon Avenue beside Capitol Medical so you can see what we do. Since we deal with fueling- timing marks, belts, chain, gears, cam position, crank position is of vital importance to us. Pakita ko rin how we calibrate common rail systems and other type of injection pumps. Hope to see you bro!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    pano malaman kung original ang timing belt tsaka magkano po? para sa 98 lancer el ko po. TIA!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arnarn View Post
    pano malaman kung original ang timing belt tsaka magkano po? para sa 98 lancer el ko po. TIA!
    Bilhin sa casa para sigurado. You can call them up to inquire about pricing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Drive Belt and Timing Belt