New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    Dapat naka 5th gear na pag 60kmh na para tipid na gas.
    Depends on the gear ratio. Sa L-200 ko, 50kph pa lang, pwede na mag-5th gear.

This accidental engine braking happened to me on my MOTORCYCLE (woah, yeah!) when it was still less than a few weeks old. E continuous ang gear switching nun, from N to 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to Neutral to 1st again, and so on...

You guessed it... I accidentally stepped on the pedal while on 4th gear and subsequently stepped on it again so it switched to 1st gear. Buti na lang di ako masyado mabilis (max 50kph) at mabilis naman akong naka-react... But I did it (hindi pa rin sinasadya, opkors) many times, even on McArthur with a van tailing me, buti hindi masyado bumagal... Whew!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Depends on the gear ratio. Sa L-200 ko, 50kph pa lang, pwede na mag-5th gear.

This accidental engine braking happened to me on my MOTORCYCLE (woah, yeah!) when it was still less than a few weeks old. E continuous ang gear switching nun, from N to 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to Neutral to 1st again, and so on...

You guessed it... I accidentally stepped on the pedal while on 4th gear and subsequently stepped on it again so it switched to 1st gear. Buti na lang di ako masyado mabilis (max 50kph) at mabilis naman akong naka-react... But I did it (hindi pa rin sinasadya, opkors) many times, even on McArthur with a van tailing me, buti hindi masyado bumagal... Whew!
    Nangyari din sakin to sa MC. Lifan GY150 (Honda TMX engine design). Nasanay kasi ako sa mga Yamaha (1-down 4-up gear change). Eh ang mga Honda up-down shifting lang. 4th gear ako sa Lifan, 85km/h takbo tapos umapak ako sa rear shift footpeg. Downshift nga pala yun sa Honda! Sa Yamaha nga kasi ganon ang upshifting! Ayun, nagulat ako. Buti hand clutch kaya napiga ko agad...whew.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    if you rev match from 4th to 3rd, there won't be much of a problem, unless you are redlining already. even though you are rev matching and assuming that you always do it well, its still not good. our cars (unless you have a modified tranny/engine combo), aren't build for this driving style. you'll end up either repairing your tranny/engine or worse change both.

just from repeated engine breaking, i've worn out my car's clutch ag 75k. it's a good practice to rev match, but not at a high rpm for stock cars.

engine breaking w/o rev match is really bad as what i have experieced.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    if you rev match from 4th to 3rd, there won't be much of a problem, unless you are redlining already. even though you are rev matching and assuming that you always do it well, its still not good. our cars (unless you have a modified tranny/engine combo), aren't build for this driving style. you'll end up either repairing your tranny/engine or worse change both.

just from repeated engine breaking, i've worn out my car's clutch ag 75k. it's a good practice to rev match, but not at a high rpm for stock cars.

engine breaking w/o rev match is really bad as what i have experieced.
    Intrigued...

So, if you had an A/T car, would you rather immediately shift from D to N when slowing down, say, towards an intersection, or would you still let the ECU do engine braking? :smiley:

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    An A/T does not engine brake as effectively as an M/T. Kaya pag A/T ka at nawalan ka ng brakes, bye-bye! With an M/T, you can row down through the gears until you reach the 1st gear and the hand brake will be able to sufficiently stop the vehicle.

As to shortcuts in shifting up, when I'm in a hurry but feel lazy, I would red line at 1st gear (50 kph), go straight to 3rd gear and red line it (140 kph), and then pasok sa 5th gear.

Actually, I could drive my car with just the 1st gear and the 5th gear. My engine is so torquey that at 40 kph, kaya na ng engine hatakin yung car kahit naka 5th gear. Mas mabagal nga lang acceleration.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FWC View Post
    An A/T does not engine brake as effectively as an M/T. Kaya pag A/T ka at nawalan ka ng brakes, bye-bye! With an M/T, you can row down through the gears until you reach the 1st gear and the hand brake will be able to sufficiently stop the vehicle.

As to shortcuts in shifting up, when I'm in a hurry but feel lazy, I would red line at 1st gear (50 kph), go straight to 3rd gear and red line it (140 kph), and then pasok sa 5th gear.

Actually, I could drive my car with just the 1st gear and the 5th gear. My engine is so torquey that at 40 kph, kaya na ng engine hatakin yung car kahit naka 5th gear. Mas mabagal nga lang acceleration.

You're one of the very few persons I know/heard, whose M/T is just a "W", meaning no 2nd and 4th gear.......

7303:soda:

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    ser try sliding to the lowest gear (L), baka di na aabante sasakyan mo kung hindi steep ang incline. OT na ako!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    CVT: This is actually practical. Remember that old cars used to have only 3 gears and that is enough to take them from stop to their highest speed (even up to 180 kph for some models). The reason why manufacturers keep adding gears is to enable cars to have faster acceleration by allowing you to stay on the torque band.

Gumusut: I did not say it would not work with A/T. What I said was the M/T is more effective in engine braking as compared to an A/T. This would depend on the speed. At low speed, yes, you can slow down the car with an A/T by going to L. At very high speed, you may, but it would take a lot longer. May protective mechanism yung transmission to prevent damage when you accidentally move your shift lever to L. At least that's what it does in my old Accord A/T. I don't know if it's still the same with newer models.

In off-roading, going up very steep inclines, lamang ang A/T. Pag pababa, lamang na lamang ang M/T.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Gumusut: I did not say it would not work with A/T. What I said was the M/T is more effective in engine braking as compared to an A/T. This would depend on the speed. At low speed, yes, you can slow down the car with an A/T by going to L. At very high speed, you may, but it would take a lot longer. May protective mechanism yung transmission to prevent damage when you accidentally move your shift lever to L. At least that's what it does in my old Accord A/T. I don't know if it's still the same with newer models.

In off-roading, going up very steep inclines, lamang ang A/T. Pag pababa, lamang na lamang ang M/T.

Yup, driving an A/T going down winding roads, I feel helpless. But with M/T, you feel that you have real control....

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    CVT: This is actually practical. Remember that old cars used to have only 3 gears and that is enough to take them from stop to their highest speed (even up to 180 kph for some models). The reason why manufacturers keep adding gears is to enable cars to have faster acceleration by allowing you to stay on the torque band.

I can probably agree here, bro. It is just that, I am not the kind of driver who regularly or typically puts the engine rev on the high side of the spectrum.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear at high speed