New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    eh kung a/t kaya mga boss?... im driving a new jazz, yung may paddle shifter, in brekin-in period i used the manual mode (s mode). speed ko mga 80kph sa 4th gear, then baba ko ng 3rd, taas nga ng rpm but not in redline. (engine braking ba). any inputs about that...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    eh kung a/t kaya mga boss?... im driving a new jazz, yung may paddle shifter, in brekin-in period i used the manual mode (s mode). speed ko mga 80kph sa 4th gear, then baba ko ng 3rd, taas nga ng rpm but not in redline. (engine braking ba). any inputs about that...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GBStJames View Post
    Around 80 kph speed ko that time. Kaya pa ba ng tercera yun? Di naman ako makahataw that time. Old model kasi car ko. He he. Anyway, after that incident sobrang ingat ako magpunta ng fifth gear. Talagang tintulak ko ng husto sa kanan yung stick.

Ok lang yan basta wag lang umabot sa 80kph yon 2nd gear.
    pa redline na iyon. Sa L300 30kph to 80kph ako sa 3rd gear
    ako sa quezon.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It is highly recommended against shifting from D to N when the vehicle is moving. In case you'll have to shift it back to D without the vehicle stopping, the transmission can get damaged. Transmissions seek the lowest gear when initially engaged into D. So shifting from N to D at speed will force the car to shift to the lowest gear at speed, and that will kill the clutch packs the higher you are going, will cause a possible accident since your vehicle suddenly slows down but your brake lights do not light up, and you could lose control if you're in a slippery environment or made the shift while in a corner/turn.

Just RTFM

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It is highly recommended against shifting from D to N when the vehicle is moving. In case you'll have to shift it back to D without the vehicle stopping, the transmission can get damaged. Transmissions seek the lowest gear when initially engaged into D. So shifting from N to D at speed will force the car to shift to the lowest gear at speed, and that will kill the clutch packs the higher you are going, will cause a possible accident since your vehicle suddenly slows down but your brake lights do not light up, and you could lose control if you're in a slippery environment or made the shift while in a corner/turn.

Just RTFM

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post

Just RTFM
    Thanks, mbeige. But that may only be true for old A/T's... I have yet to experience that... all A/T cars I've driven do not go into the lowest gear when I shift them back from N to D at high speeds.

YMMV but I agree that we must all RTFM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    mga sir, OC lang ako but i think its engine BRAKING and not BREAKING.

anyway, naalala ko lang the thread starter drives a lancer.

my mechanic said engine braking in lancers (i drive an itlog) especially in high speed situations is not advisable in lancers bec of the risk of wearing out or even breaking the timing belt. and all mitsu owners know that breaking the timing belt is equivalent to the kiss of death for your engine.

ayun, change driving style na ako.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i also own a lancer. "hard engine braking" on my experience easily wears out the pressure plate fingers and bearing. i had mine replaced at 75k km

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    i had the same practice when i used to drive a lancer, yung no no on hard engine braking ...

sa A/T naman, when I downshift to engine break, I just turn off the overdrive button.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear at high speed