New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di kasi nila na-factor in yung other costs of ownership like maintenance, 2nd and 3rd year insurance, parking cost, and even the price of gasoline nung nag-decide sila bumili ng car.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I consider driving within Metro Manila as extreme driving.
    75% of my daily drive to and from office is spent idling and creeping at < 10kph.
    Kahit na low mileage, pinapa oil change ko na rin.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    My intention of asking this question is not because I cannot afford an oil change or maintenance costs. I'm after for value for my hard earned money. Di naman kasi pinupulot ang pera, unless magnanakaw yung tao.

If we are to change mineral oil every 6 months for low mileage cars, probably its a good thing. However, if we are to spend on expensive fully synthetic oils that are designed for extended drain intervals (E.g. 20,000km or more) what's the point of using them in if we are required to change oil every 6 months regardless of mileage?

Are we guided by myth or conventional knowledge, or do we have the science and facts for real answers?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My intention of asking this question is not because I cannot afford an oil change or maintenance costs. I'm after for value for my hard earned money. Di naman kasi pinupulot ang pera, unless magnanakaw yung tao.

If we are to change mineral oil every 6 months for low mileage cars, probably its a good thing. However, if we are to spend on expensive fully synthetic oils that are designed for extended drain intervals (E.g. 20,000km or more) what's the point of using them in if we are required to change oil every 6 months regardless of mileage?

Are we guided by myth or conventional knowledge, or do we have the science and facts for real answers?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Find the thread remote bypass oil filtration. Everything is explained there.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice2 View Post

My opinion on this is that the conditions in an engine is the same whether you use synthetic or conventional oils. The entire combustion process produces soot, metal wear due to friction all end up in oil. These needs to be flushed out regularly before it affects the engine components.

Now if your vehicle is seldomly used, it is a fact that oil degrades, minimizing its lubricating functions, maski na synthetic pa yan... well probably, the additives used in synthetic oils degrade + the actual oil itself degrades. now if you are really in doubt, i suggest you go for an oil analysis. FS oil, before pouring out, will not hold the same characteristics inside the engine.

second, is that oil gets contaminated after it is poured out from the package. the contaminants will not protect your engine if you are using a FS oil.

siguro para di ka na din manghinayang, use a semi-synth or regular mineral oil next time, which I do, dahil nothing beats peace of mind after going through engine breakdown dahil sa lengthy oil change interval.... FS oils for daily driven and non-modified cars for me would be too much dahil kumikita din dyan ang casa eh, so yan ang recommended nila.

now for the question on the point of using extended drain oils, i personally believe its marketing hype. kung FS gamit mo, the safest would be draining it at 10k kms, not at 20k kms.

imho.

Quote Originally Posted by fireice2 View Post

My opinion on this is that the conditions in an engine is the same whether you use synthetic or conventional oils. The entire combustion process produces soot, metal wear due to friction all end up in oil. These needs to be flushed out regularly before it affects the engine components.

Now if your vehicle is seldomly used, it is a fact that oil degrades, minimizing its lubricating functions, maski na synthetic pa yan... well probably, the additives used in synthetic oils degrade + the actual oil itself degrades. now if you are really in doubt, i suggest you go for an oil analysis. FS oil, before pouring out, will not hold the same characteristics inside the engine.

second, is that oil gets contaminated after it is poured out from the package. the contaminants will not protect your engine if you are using a FS oil.

siguro para di ka na din manghinayang, use a semi-synth or regular mineral oil next time, which I do, dahil nothing beats peace of mind after going through engine breakdown dahil sa lengthy oil change interval.... FS oils for daily driven and non-modified cars for me would be too much dahil kumikita din dyan ang casa eh, so yan ang recommended nila.

now for the question on the point of using extended drain oils, i personally believe its marketing hype. kung FS gamit mo, the safest would be draining it at 10k kms, not at 20k kms.

imho.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    sa akin every day ko gamit las pinyas city to malate.araw araw gamit,tapos week ends uwi sa nueva ecija.

hindi inaabot ng 6months..5k palit nako ng oil..

minsan 4 months palang nakak 5k na ako..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bottomline is follow the recommended change interval by the manufacturer or the users manual and use the minimum oil specifications recommended para walang problema.

bottomline is follow the recommended change interval by the manufacturer or the users manual and use the minimum oil specifications recommended para walang problema. sometimes kasi, information on the internet messes things up.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    sa akin every day ko gamit las pinyas city to malate.araw araw gamit,tapos week ends uwi sa nueva ecija.

hindi inaabot ng 6months..5k palit nako ng oil..

minsan 4 months palang nakak 5k na ako..
    jaypee, anong oto ito?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    sa akin naman, hindi na pinagtatalunan yan. mas mura ang cost of oil kesa sa cost of having your engine repaired....
    if you can buy a brand new car, brand new phones or even expensive gadgets, why scrimp sa oil change?
    napaso na ako..... nasiraan na ako ng makina....

i do change oil every 5k kms..... daily driven car, using semi-synth oil.

sa akin naman, hindi na pinagtatalunan yan. mas mura ang cost of oil kesa sa cost of having your engine repaired....
    if you can buy a brand new car, brand new phones or even expensive gadgets, why scrimp sa oil change?
    napaso na ako..... nasiraan na ako ng makina....

i do change oil every 5k kms..... daily driven car, using semi-synth oil.
    ano po ang mileage ng car nung nasiraan kayo ng makina?
    anong specific na sira po?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If you want a definitive answer re: safe extended oil change intervals you'll have to pony up and pay for used oil analysis. Things to ask for in a UOA are TBN, TAN, fuel dilution, the amount of silicates and other contaminants as well as wear metals. Thing is, it's expensive and you have to get at least three UOA's in a row (with exactly the same oil) to establish a trend. Even after that there's no assurance that your engine will get the same results as it ages.

That's the reason why most people opt to err on the safe (and economical side) and change oil (mostly mineral or semi synth) at 5TKm. The type of engine also matters. If it's a modern turbocharged engine I wouldn't run mineral oil at all, no matter what the API rating.

I'm for the idea that oil change intervals should be based on the amount of fuel consumed, since the contaminants are combustion byproducts. Elapsed time between changes, mileage or running hours are factors as well, but IMO the amount of fuel consumed gives a more direct correlation to the amount of oil contamination.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast