New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    It's always been a staple topic at my suking garage mechanics so I'm wondering if they really do work.

I guess it is pretty obvious that it may significantly help reduce heat in the engine bay but what other performance benefits can it possibly offer?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Heat yes... performance... not really much... supposedly provides better scavenging, but any gains, from what I've seen, are minimal. It's worth doing for the heat alone, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, laking tulong against heat. plus mas malinis tignan headers lalo na kung yung headers mo eh kinakalawang. hehehe

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    IMO, it is better to have your exhaust manifold PnP'd or extrude hone'd first and get a good ceramic coat done altogether. Then if you want to use heat wraps for less underhood temps you can use that as well.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    what are those wraps made of?

Imo, it doesn't look malinis, parang old engine mummified. hehe...

how about this? do this really work?

or will break instead?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I forget.. asbestos, I think?

The intake manifold cooler is only for drag racing... you use it to cool down the intake manifold between runs... by the end of the quarter mile, your manifold is hot again...

Besides, stopping on the road and opening your hood every five minutes just to put a bag of ice in is silly.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    what are those wraps made of?

Imo, it doesn't look malinis, parang old engine mummified. hehe...
    Product Description from Design Engineering, Inc.

The first step in controlling under hood temperatures is to use DEI's exhaust wrap. This product is designed to keep heat in the exhaust and evacuate it out of the engine compartment. Wrapping your headers will reduce under hood temperatures by up to 50% while providing additional horsepower, engine protection and passenger comfort. All exhaust and header wraps are not alike! We start with a hi-temp fiberglass composite material then add a proprietary coating to enhance heat retention and expand durability. We are also the only manufacturer to add 1/4" guidelines to the exhaust wrap to ensure proper installation without the guess work.

* Reduce under hood temperatures a realistic 50%
    * Improves horsepower
    * Only exhaust wrap with installation guide lines
    * Added durability and heat retention

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hehe... silly nga.

I have no idea, puwede e-apply yung cloth wrap sa fiber glass...

thanks.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I forget.. asbestos, I think?
    My mechanic kept mentioning before that it's made of 'non-asbestos' material. They often refer to it as thermal wrapping. He also claimed that it can reduce at least 50% of engine bay heat and since it lowers intake temps so it can give more Hp.

Yup it does look like a mummified exhaust system but it sure ain't medical gauze bandages hehehe.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... possibly health reasons... though having fluffy bits of fiberglass entering your lungs when you clean the engine bay ain't exactly healthy.

Did try copper-based wrap before... but it didn't work as well as the fiber-based ones at capping heat... though we didn't dyno-test it for any effects on scavenging (it might have been better... who knows?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Do Exhaust Wraps really work?