New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    It last 2 yrs. sa akin. '92 L300 vv gas/LPG.

Pero after ko mabasa ito, bumigay Ang capacitor 1000microF. Nag-ground yata sa body?!!

Talaga bang may current ang Heatsink??? Lakas eh. nabuhay lahat.:ooops:

Available pa rin sa Alexan.

I'm not expert on electronics, kaya pinagawa ko sa Alexan.

Pinakamahal na part ay MJ10015(P500+). Plus P150 labor. Wala ng Motorola.

Kahit saang Alexan puwede makuha after repair...

PERO! Ayaw nila gawin pag di intact ang parts.

FYI.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Sir Lan0520,

Wala bang modifications ang Alexan sa E.I. Kit? Tinanggal ko kse ung sa akin kse d talaga kaya ng ignition coil ko..mayadong umiinit ang coil...
    Tnx.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lan0520 View Post
    It last 2 yrs. sa akin. '92 L300 vv gas/LPG.

Pero after ko mabasa ito, bumigay Ang capacitor 1000microF. Nag-ground yata sa body?!!

Talaga bang may current ang Heatsink??? Lakas eh. nabuhay lahat.:ooops:

Available pa rin sa Alexan.

I'm not expert on electronics, kaya pinagawa ko sa Alexan.

Pinakamahal na part ay MJ10015(P500+). Plus P150 labor. Wala ng Motorola.

Kahit saang Alexan puwede makuha after repair...

PERO! Ayaw nila gawin pag di intact ang parts.

FYI.
    Dear Lan:

I am not familiar with the Alexan design.... can you post or e-mail that to me...

Most electronic capacitors have 2 wires + and -, therefore they are not supposed to be grounded.

The only ones that I know to be grounded are the condensers used in automotive applications + for the lead wire and - to the body ground

Dusky

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Dear Lan:

I am not familiar with the Alexan design.... can you post or e-mail that to me...

Most electronic capacitors have 2 wires + and -, therefore they are not supposed to be grounded.

The only ones that I know to be grounded are the condensers used in automotive applications + for the lead wire and - to the body ground

Dusky
    Sir, the electronic components are soldered to a pcb, i think he was referring to what happened "after ko mabasa to"( he got it wet) the caps and power transistor(mj10015) got busted.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear bongski:

Thanks for clearing that up.

It seems to me that there are a lot of problems using transistorized ignitions for standard coils - the heating issue.

I recommend that you use a very conservatively designed coil - like the old black Nippondenso's with the square ballast resistor.

Don't by-pass the resistor and check very carefully the dwell angle you're using, try to use the smallest practical dwell angel to keep the turn-on times shorter.

If the coil still heats up try using a higher ohm ballast resistor (available at Raon - just specify the amperage you want).

Using a a ballast resistor with higher ohm rating should control the current very effectively in the coil.

Hope this helps,

Dusky Lim

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    we played around with transistorized ignition on our beetle many years ago. it worked fine. no bulutong on the contact points. easier starting. then one day, the engine died. no amount of coaxing re-started it. the culprit: dirty contact points. it seems, the hi voltage of the traditional kettering system also served to clean the contact points of dirt. when we installed transistorized ignition, the hi voltage that used to clean the points, was not there anymore. after some time, dirt built up and prevented the electrical contact from occuring. engine stalled. the solution was to simply clean the points at regular intervals. i guess that is why manufacturers shifted to optical or magnetic distributors..

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I'm building Multiple spark CDI and its already working. I installed it in my Lancer EL 1996 4g15. I still use the original Distributor with magnetic pickup sensor and built-in Ignition coil. THe CDI can produce 6 sparks at low rpm and gradually reduced spark as it the rpm increases. Ignition voltage on primary of ignition coil was 400V or equivalent of 40kv on the secondary of ignition coil.
    But I'm encountering intermittent misfire and found out that high voltage noise was pickup by cdi trigger circuit and causing it to misfire. CDI was now again in my working table for modification of trigger circuit. Already made modification of the trigger circuit to isolate it from high voltage noise. Have to transfer new component to a small pcb.

Just to inform you that CDI will not cause overheating of Ignition coil. Because spark voltage was charge in Capacitor and not in the Ignition coil.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hope you've fixed that misfire on your cdi, i googled some schematics on multiple spark ignition before but found it hard to source out the parts here, might have been a good diy to tinker with on my lazy hours.
    It seems that ignition coil is the sticking point on electronic ignition builds, but YMMV, i have used an old(got it used) Bosch red coil from day 1 I installed alexans kit, drove w/ it w/out the ballast resistor and never had a problem.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I have a friend from Mitsulancer forum who also built the Alexan Electronic Ignition and ask for my assistance. I've able to make it work by replacing the NE555 ic.

Actually, the original schematic of the multiple spark cdi from the internet have a lot of problem. Aside from it very hard to source the main spare parts needed. I've able to make it work but encountered following problem..

1.The 22 khz inverter will stop if +dc supply was below 10V.
    2. Power FET transistor will not last an hour and get shorted due to high current ( 6Amp ).
    3. Intermittent misfire from high voltage noise.

I've solved problem 1 & 2 by modifying components ,circuit and almost 60% of original circuit. Now. my cdi consumes 0.8A at 800 rpm and 2.5A at high rpm.

I hope my new circuit for noise isolation circuit will correct the 3rd problem on actual test on my car or else i'll convert it to single spark to solve the problem.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    I still make them. Been making EIS for over 25 years. Old price P2,500 installed. 0922 296 6288 or Globe 09163068924. Bong

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
DIY: How to make your own Electronic Ignition for contact point engines