New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I usually see owners/drivers of vans (Hi-Ace, Urvan, Starex, and the like) running their engines with the aircon on for several minutes like for more than 30mins to an hour at the parking area. I know these are diesel engines. But is this okay? What are its adverse effects, if any? Fuel consumption? Is this practice ok because they are vans? what about SUVs doing this, what would be their difference?

How about those cars on gas engines also doing this practice of running their engines with the aircon on for several minutes?

Pls enlighten me on this. I am not doing this to my ride (Fortuner Diesel AT 2016), but still I am curious.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I usually see owners/drivers of vans (Hi-Ace, Urvan, Starex, and the like) running their engines with the aircon on for several minutes like for more than 30mins to an hour at the parking area. I know these are diesel engines. But is this okay? What are its adverse effects, if any? Fuel consumption? Is this practice ok because they are vans? what about SUVs doing this, what would be their difference?

How about those cars on gas engines also doing this practice of running their engines with the aircon on for several minutes?

Pls enlighten me on this. I am not doing this to my ride (Fortuner Diesel AT 2016), but still I am curious.
    There is a great possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning running on stationary confined areas with a gas engine than a diesel.

Diesel engines are thermally efficient running with hot environment, gaso don't like hot environments. Economy-wise torque/power/energy content per unit fuel is for diesel, that is why you don't see an industrial generator or mass transport bus/ trucks with gasoline engine.

I sleep in my diesel van 30mins to 2hrs esp during long drives when i get sleepy or tired. I am still alive and my brain cells are still intact.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006

As long as its parked in an open car parl/space, it should be alright. But its another matter if its idling in say a closed garage/parking building.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Dec 2013

Sa vans pag may inaantay lang saglit better iwan nakabukas engine kasi mahirap palamigin yung malaking cabin...

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    the cooling system simply works as well as the ac system. there was a graph before how these works.. its an on and off cycle for these older systems.

newer system employ inverter like characteristic..

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Toyota Hiace vans can run for 24 hours straight when they are hired to travel to provinces ... Nissan vans will overheat ...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

parking administrators prefer the vehicle engines stay off while in the parking area. it makes for cleaner and cooler parking garage air.
    only the person inside the vehicle with engine running and aircon cooling, benefits with his cooler situation.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That practice is always detrimental to the engine's health. Long idling creates more carbon build-up, contributes to fuel dilution in oil, increased cylinder wall wear, which then results in more blow-by.

It's especially bad for modern Diesels equipped with DPFs.

As the effects are not immediate, many people see engine idling as harmless. But there's a reason why long idling and/or stop and go traffic, among other things, are considered severe or extreme conditions on almost any vehicle owners manual.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    ^+1

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    Well, regarding this. I think most cars now have an Auxiliary Fan that deals with cooling the aircon system/compressor, be it gas or diesel I believe (not sure which cars we have here that have an electric compressor though)

So as the cars age, that auxiliary fan will stop working and there will be no warning light.

And with that failure, your aircon system will not work properly as there isn't sufficient airflow to cool the compressor.

So when idling and AC is running, well, you aren't in motion. Tendency is your car won't actually be cooling you in the cabin.

I don't personally like idling my car but there would be instances where it might be unavoidable (with kids or elderly inside the car while waiting for someone to come out of the house or store, etc etc).

Keep it to a minimum I say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast