New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    As long as there's a diesel version available, I don't even look at the gassers

Despite the injection pump timing in early diesels, that not every mechanic has the skill to tune properly (then leading to the smoke-belching issues), they're way easier to mantain. Also, comparing to a carburettor-fed gasoline-powered engine, it's cheaper to keep a diesel running and their longer-lasting overcome the higher cost for an engine overhaul.

Newer-generation CRDi's share those advantages with the older all-mechanicals, but its injection setup is not so hard to deal with as a gasoline EFI setup would be.

Okay, I must confess I'm really partial to diesels...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Gentlemen:

Most of the fuel economy issues regarding diesels consuming around 5-6 km/ltr are due to poor maintenance - I have several diesel pickups and they consistently get 10-12 km/liter.

I replace the air/oil/fuel filters every oil change (5000 km).

I keep the vehicles aligned.

I regularly check the tire pressure.

I maintain the fuel system (no calibration yet) - NO AIR or Fuel leaks.

Do this and all will be well.

Best Regards,

Dusky lim
    FC depends not only on maintenance but the design of a car. Try aking a 4m40 Pajero reach 10 kms/ltr at the city.

I'm partial to diesel as well but I won't generalize that every diesel can reach such frugality. Esp. old shool diesels. Let's keep this thread as close to reality.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    FC depends not only on maintenance but the design of a car. Try aking a 4m40 Pajero reach 10 kms/ltr at the city.

I'm partial to diesel as well but I won't generalize that every diesel can reach such frugality. Esp. old shool diesels. Let's keep this thread as close to reality.
    The pickups I mentioned are a 1995 and a 1998 model - so they are as OLD SCHOOL as they come.... - Pajero should get around 8 km/liter... if properly maintained.

And as I maintain them myself - I recently adjusted the valves I am quite sure of quality of the work.

My uncle's Chevrolet Blazer averages 9km/l in city traffic and 12km/l in highway, but it has an indirect-injection engine and is not so well-mantained at all. It's already belching a lot of smoke...
    Last edited by cripple_rooster; February 10th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Up ko lang ang thread.

I prefer diesel engine. My 1996 L200 clocked at 339,000 km, never overhauled, never calibrated. It still runs fine. Just change oil, change oil filter, change air filter, and change fuel filter when the need arises. It can do 9-10 km/litre in city driving while 11-12 km/litre in highway driving. Not bad for an almost 17 year old truck.

While a gas engine requires ignition system tune-up and spark plugs needed to be replaced.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME !
    JOIN A TRUSTED SINCE 1998 COMPANY

- Personal Mentor, & Supportive Group
    - Daily Instructions & Checklists

- Multiple Income Streams
    - Promote Only One Link!

Here's what you've been looking for...
    Escape The Rat Race!!!

o Need 2 Consider.
    Nothing 2 Lose.
    Get Started Right Now.
    I Will Personally Mentor You.

Your Friend & Personal Mentor,
    David Smith
    SEE YOU INSIDE.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Old-school Diesels tend to tollerate better some operating abuses and environmental harshness. Newer ones, altough developing greater power levels while still retaining a better fuel-efficiency, have their sensibility to fuel quality issues but are still a better option than a gasser.
    Last edited by cripple_rooster; December 21st, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Pag gagamitin mo ng matagal ung tsikot mo and abuse it, preferably diesel engine piliin mo.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Gentlemen:

Most of the fuel economy issues regarding diesels consuming around 5-6 km/ltr are due to poor maintenance - I have several diesel pickups and they consistently get 10-12 km/liter.

I replace the air/oil/fuel filters every oil change (5000 km).

I keep the vehicles aligned.

I regularly check the tire pressure.

I maintain the fuel system (no calibration yet) - NO AIR or Fuel leaks.

Do this and all will be well.

Best Regards,

Dusky lim
    depende din po yan sa SIze ng engine, load, pati size ng tires and traffic.. sama mo na din driving habits....

mine 2.9 inline 5... kung fully loaded as mabigat na mabigat ang karga then floored mode pa... 6.2 - 6.6 kms. per liter...

kung walang laman naman city driving it can do 8kms. per liter in moderate city traffic....

highway driving loaded 7-10kms./liter naman....

pag kunti lang ang sakay as in 4-5 lang at tipid driving mode it can do 13kms./liter

yung ride ko can ave. between 6.2 up to 13kms. per liter po...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    pag luma tignan ang diesel ride hihintuin ka sa makati area para sa usok check.

hassle mga bwaka ng na na mga yun thus gas pa rin ako for now

sakit lang sa bulsa ang pag gagas

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Diesel Engine Maintenance vs Gas Engines