New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyukoy View Post
    Question po. I'm planning to buy 2nd hand na Ford Focus 2007 2.0 diesel. When I asked a mechanic, he said na iwas sa diesel cars kasi not good ang cooling system because maliit yung engine area so not much air and di elevated unlike pick-up and SUV. Additionally, city driving with bad traffic condition yung location ko. Pag umuwi ako ng gabi, 15 mins travel lang from office to house. Pag house to office during daytime, 30-40 mins tapos 2nd to 3rd gear lagi. Di ba advisable yung diesel hatch if ganito?
    There's nothing wrong with the Focus diesel per se. In fact, it's a very fast and very frugal car. As long as you get a well-maintained unit, you should not have any problems with the engine.

What you have to look out for is the transmission of the dual-clutch (automatic) Focus TDCi. Many cases have been reported of premature failure because of the stop and go traffic in Manila which is the biggest weakness of the Focus' transmission.

Earlier models (2006-2007) came with a manual transmission which is more durable and less problematic. If you don't mind driving stick, that's a safer option.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Question po. I'm planning to buy 2nd hand na Ford Focus 2007 2.0 diesel. When I asked a mechanic, he said na iwas sa diesel cars kasi not good ang cooling system because maliit yung engine area so not much air and di elevated unlike pick-up and SUV. Additionally, city driving with bad traffic condition yung location ko. Pag umuwi ako ng gabi, 15 mins travel lang from office to house. Pag house to office during daytime, 30-40 mins tapos 2nd to 3rd gear lagi. Di ba advisable yung diesel hatch if ganito?
    Natrauma ata nung kabataan nya sa diesel na oto ung mechanic na nagsabi sayo nyan.. Hehe..
    Anyway,
    Di naman po problematic cooling system nitong model na ito. Basta alaga lang cooling system, alang kalawang at okay ang thermostat and tama level at walang leak. No problem sa overheat kahit hatawin mo pa maghapon sa racetrack.

Manual po ba itong prospect buy nyo? Ang sakit ng model na ito is ung mahal na parts especially ung pagpapalit ng clutch assy. at dual mass flywheel. Budget ka duon ng 80k for parts and labor. So kung nasa 150++ na mileage ng kukunin mo at di pa ito napapalitan, pede mo pa tawaran or mag ipon ka na sama mo na pang timing belt. Rare din minsan parts, example, di ka makakabile ng inner CV joint bearing. Isang buong CV joint benta which is around 20k isa ata. Kahit battery is ibang klase din. Pero meron namang motolite. 7k.

Overall matibay naman engine at matipid din at malakas pa sa hatawan.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Janemar View Post
    Natrauma ata nung kabataan nya sa diesel na oto ung mechanic na nagsabi sayo nyan.. Hehe..
    Anyway,
    Di naman po problematic cooling system nitong model na ito. Basta alaga lang cooling system, alang kalawang at okay ang thermostat and tama level at walang leak. No problem sa overheat kahit hatawin mo pa maghapon sa racetrack.

Manual po ba itong prospect buy nyo? Ang sakit ng model na ito is ung mahal na parts especially ung pagpapalit ng clutch assy. at dual mass flywheel. Budget ka duon ng 80k for parts and labor. So kung nasa 150++ na mileage ng kukunin mo at di pa ito napapalitan, pede mo pa tawaran or mag ipon ka na sama mo na pang timing belt. Rare din minsan parts, example, di ka makakabile ng inner CV joint bearing. Isang buong CV joint benta which is around 20k isa ata. Kahit battery is ibang klase din. Pero meron namang motolite. 7k.

i used to have a m/t frontier, i think diesel engines are best sa low speeds and low gears, often times becoz of the torque, im always at 2nd or 3rd gear...at highway speeds, i rather have a gasoline one..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    i used to have a m/t frontier, i think diesel engines are best sa low speeds and low gears, often times becoz of the torque, im always at 2nd or 3rd gear...at highway speeds, i rather have a gasoline one..
    The Frontier TD27 (or QD32) is very, very different from today's modern CRDi diesels.

All modern diesels are capable of running at reasonable highway speeds (100-140 kph). For cars like the Focus TDCi, even 200 kph is easy (no other compact can out-accelerate it to 200 kph, except the 2.0 FD MT). Even Monteros, Fortuners, and Everests will easily cruise at speeds above 160.

Newer diesels are also much more refined compared to diesels from a decade ago. Save for the noisy Trailblazer and MUX, the current crop of SUVs have noticeably quieter engines, closer to gas engines than to old-school 90s diesels.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Janemar View Post
    Anyway,

Thanks Dalek and Janemar.

There were Hyundai CRDI Sedans kasi na he used to fixed so I guess based sa experience nya on other brands or models. He also fix SUV diesels and maintains my car so may tiwala naman ako sa kanya pero nag taka lang ako sa comment nya on sedans with diesel engines.

I'm looking at 2.0 Turbo Diesel Engine manual transmission tapos 70K mileage na. Ok ba? Priced at 300K.

I'm based in Cebu pala. Baka mahirap parts nito.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2016
    In case it hasn't been mentioned, as far as diesel's environmental impact, it should be noted they were originally designed to run on peanut oil, and often can be run vegetable oil (though some modifications are often necessary) and most can run on 100% biodiesel with few modifications if any, creating a closed carbon loop and therefore making them far more environmentally friendly then fossil fuel refined gas engines. Besides the fact they are more efficient and durable as they are designed to run at higher pressure and Torque. Also, modern diesels that incorporate sophisticated piezoelectric injectors and advanced filtration are approaching gas engines as far as noxious gas and particulate output levels.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoopert View Post
    In case it hasn't been mentioned, as far as diesel's environmental impact, it should be noted they were originally designed to run on peanut oil, and often can be run vegetable oil (though some modifications are often necessary) and most can run on 100% biodiesel with few modifications if any, creating a closed carbon loop and therefore making them far more environmentally friendly then fossil fuel refined gas engines. Besides the fact they are more efficient and durable as they are designed to run at higher pressure and Torque. Also, modern diesels that incorporate sophisticated piezoelectric injectors and advanced filtration are approaching gas engines as far as noxious gas and particulate output levels.
    Would like to add, with dpf and urea injection, even if the engines ran on 100% diesel, emissions are much much cleaner than gasoline.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Would like to add, with dpf and urea injection, even if the engines ran on 100% diesel, emissions are much much cleaner than gasoline.
    Agree on this. After the full treatment, only Nitrogen and water comes out of the tail pipe.

In fact, it can be said that the air coming out the exhaust pipe may even be cleaner than the the air that went into the intake. So you will actually be cleaning the air by driving a Diesel equipped with these modern emission control systems.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    When you say modern diesel engine, starting what year? And which brands or makers?

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Agree on this. After the full treatment, only Nitrogen and water comes out of the tail pipe.

In fact, it can be said that the air coming out the exhaust pipe may even be cleaner than the the air that went into the intake. So you will actually be cleaning the air by driving a Diesel equipped with these modern emission control systems.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    When you say modern diesel engine, starting what year? And which brands or makers?
    "Modern" is probably not the right word, I apologize. You can still technically operate a modern Diesel engine that does not have a DPF, SCR or DF. The end effect would be that, it will likely only pass Euro 2 standards.

In the context of the discussion of clean Diesels, engines that are Euro 6 and higher would be the ones I am referring to.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Diesel engine cars vs gas engine cars. Newbie po