New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by irmscher
    Just curious, what advantage does using DELO on a gas engine offer, as opposed to using a gasoline-specific oil?
    There are very few oils that are "gas engine" specific only. Check the API Service rating of that "so-called" gas engine oil that you're using-- 9 out of 10 times-- it will also have a "C" API Service classification for use in diesel or compression ignition engines. However, oils marketed for gas engines may not have the highest diesel ratings such as CH-4 or CI.

2. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic318
    Quote Originally Posted by irmscher
    Just curious, what advantage does using DELO on a gas engine offer, as opposed to using a gasoline-specific oil?
    There are very few oils that are "gas engine" specific only. Check the API Service rating of that "so-called" gas engine oil that you're using-- 9 out of 10 times-- it will also have a "C" API Service classification for use in diesel or compression ignition engines. However, oils marketed for gas engines may not have the highest diesel ratings such as CH-4 or CI.
    Ok, point taken. But again, what's the advantage of using DELO on a gas engine? I'm just curious why some people are using it against, say, havoline?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the design of Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO) such as DELO 500 are best suited to lubricate the features of a diesel engine...aside from the fact that these engines are ignited by "compression ignition", these engines operate at higher compression ratios (18:1 to 26:1) compared with gasoline engines...

people who modify their engines to higher compression ratios sometimes use HDEO's...

another advantage of using HDEO's on gasoline engine:
    HDEO's are a litter bit cheaper that engine oils for gasoline engines (1 liter of Delo 500 Multigrade API-SJ = Php 139 vs. 1 liter of Havoline Formula API-SJ/SL Php 160)

Personally, I would only use engine oils designed to lubricate their respective engines...some OEM's even retain their own approval system...notable examples are Mercedes Bnez who defines additional requirements beyond the ACEA limits.

Note:
    Association of European Automobile Constructors (ACEA)-sets the HDEO lubricant classification system in Europe

Compared with European and North American HDEO's, Japanese HDEO's tend to be highly detergent.

i hope i answered your question satisfactorily

4. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Very much so, sir chieffy. Thanks!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Chieffy's statements are correct and I agree with them. Some manufacturers may call for very specific engine lubricants that exceeds certain standards. For instance, the current BMW M3 uses a BMW-approved 0W-60 fully synthetic gas engine oil that costs $9 per quart. Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic is a little less than $5 per quart in most U.S. states. In cases like this, the manufacturer recommendation must be followed. Note that this is for the M3 (and other M-variants). More common BMWs may use a broader range of oils.

Yes, there is no real advantage in using the Delo 400/500 over gasoline engine specific engine oils. However, there is also no harm in using it on gas engines as long as it meets or exceeds the API service classification and matches the viscosity that's stated by your vehicle manufacturer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Delo for Gas Engines:Ok lang ba?