New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Got an Innova last Jan 2008 and I was happy until June 4, 2008. Was cruising at about 20-30kph when it just stalled and I lost everything (power steering, acceleration) and the engine just went dead. Switched on to hazzard and prayed that no one was behind me. Started the engine again and it worked. Called Toyota today and I was told that since May 2008, they have received at least 8 complaints from D4D owners released this 2008 of stalling. Very disappointed but the manager explained to me the sudden increase in the occurence when they thought that they already solved the problem since last year. Their suspicion is that some petrol dealers have resorted to adultering with the mix i.e. putting kerosene to maximize profit. This started happening when prices of petrol went up almost every week (true or false i do not know).Again, this is a theory and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and my cooperation. I have only gassed up with 1 station and that is Petron Donal Soledad here in Better Living since I purchased the unit. I have all the receipts to support this claim and they will now replace the supply pump tomorrow and get a sample of the diesel loaded. According to him, even if you flush the current load of diesel, it will not help as it has already contaminated the supply pump. They will then gather the data and try to take it up with the petrol companies provided that they have enough data and support.

Imagine if I was running at high speed and this happened? I am giving them the benefit of the doubt now but I hope that they may be right. Also, he advised me that it is also happening to some Ford and Kia units at this time (can anyone relate to this?).

I will keep you posted and I hope that I may still regain my confidence in this unit. My ride, a 2008 model G with 5100km reading A/T .

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the mixing of kerosene with diesel is true, how can we know beforehand?

Is kerosene cheaper than diesel?

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Very sorry about your predicament fortunately no one was hurt during the sudden stall.

If that is Toyota's theory then this could escalate into a full blown debate between them. Don't expect the petrol players to take this sitting down-they don't like being branded as cheaters.

But if they can prove Toyota wrong then I guess the ghost is back again.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    ouch... As debated before... If it is due to Bad fuel baket D4D lang... or maybe may mga ibang Brand like Kia or Hyundia that had the same problem? Bad Toyota Blame it on the Fuel... Kung Bad Fuel baket hindi affected yung Revo? Alam ko na Sagot nila kasi nga D4D yung Innova...

BTW one of my co worker here had no problem with His D4D innova... That's why we Get the VVTi model... hehehe...
    Last edited by 1997; June 6th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Wow, can't believe that this problem that Toyota has with its D4D technology is back... makes me glad I decided on the Carens rather than the Innova... (no offense to D4D Innova owners)...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, Toyota may have a point.

We've had a period of time where no D4D problems were reported, or were not as prevalent. I've talked to some people (non-Toyota, mind) who theorized that it was the lack of lubricity in new Euro II-spec low sulfur fuels that was causing Toyota problems with their fuel pumps.

Yes, it hasn't quite seemed to affect other CRDis so dramatically... even testers I've gotten that seem to have been fed terribly dirty diesel have still started on one click and have still run, despite a slight loss of power... but it's probably bad for any diesel engine.

There are additivies in new diesel that return lubricity... but if a gas station is diluting the diesel with Kerosene, Kerosene has terrible lubricity, and it'll destroy the fuel pumps in short order.

This still doesn't answer why Toyota uses such a sensitive, fragile design... but in this case, it really could be the gas station's fault.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mukang hit or miss talaga, better get the VVTi version na lang. Sure unleaded is more expensive than diesel but VVTi is cheaper (the car) and maintenance (PMS) is also cheaper... Depending on your mileage, it might take you 6-7 years to recover the difference and by that time sawa ka na sa kotse mo... Anyway, in the future I also expect the price differential of diesel and unleaded to narrow down from the current P6-P7 difference...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Oh wow, if there indeed are a number of issues that Toyota has shared with you, then indeed that's bad news.... Let's all be wary as we could be caught at high speed....

6110:pepsi:

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Oh wow, site is very slow, and has a tendency for double post.....

Not sure about my Sis's Innova's vintage (either late 2007 or early 2008), but so far they have not experienced any issue on their D4D....

6110:pepsi:
    Last edited by CVT; June 6th, 2008 at 10:43 AM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sana makakuha tayo ng list of gas stations which house the so called diesel na may kerosene. Might wanna play safe and stay away from those stations.

If its really the gas stations fault, at least less people will suffer the same problem.

I just hope toyota is not passing the blame.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
D4D choking is back , yes as I experienced it!!!!