New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    ano milage ng car? high revving ba parati?
    79K, city driving lang po most of the time, paano po ba malaman na due na po for replacement, wala kasi akong na feel na abnormal sa unit until bigla na lang akong tumirik, thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bfi1234 View Post
    79K, city driving lang po most of the time, paano po ba malaman na due na po for replacement, wala kasi akong na feel na abnormal sa unit until bigla na lang akong tumirik, thanks.
    Timing belt recommended replacement intervals vary from 60,000 to 106,000 miles. You can find the recommended interval in your car’s maintenance schedule

Signs It’s Time to Change a Timing Belt

When it is time to change your timing belt you will probably notice your car displaying rather erratic symptoms during driving. You should make a timing belt inspection a part of your regular engine maintenance. Visually look over the belt at regular intervals and look for signs of wear and tear. If your car has been behaving oddly during journeys recently it may be that your timing belt is requiring a change.

1 – Revs Behaving Badly

If you have noticed that when you drive and you get up to somewhere between 2000 and 4000 RPM and your engine start acting strange you should check the timing belt. If it has become loose it will start to slip as the RPM’s get higher during acceleration. Also, this could be a sign that there are some teeth missing.

2 – Toothless Wonder

Older timing belts will wear down and lose teeth over the course of their lifetime. While it is usually recommended to change your timing belt at least every 60,000 miles, some vehicles differ and the range can be as high as 110,000 miles. Always refer back the manual for your car for advice about the mileage.

3 – Starting and Running Issues

The timing belt is actually a very finely tuned piece of equipment on your car. It must maintain complete alignment at the same it turn the crankshaft exactly two revolutions for every one revolution of the cam shaft. The exhaust valves and intakes are caused to close and open by the revolution of the cam shaft. The valve has to be able to close and open at the exact right moment when related to the movement of the pistons. Therefore, if that timing is off, everything else will be off kilter. This can also cause starting problems because the timing of all the individual components that cause the car to start will all be disrupted.

4 – Exhaust Problems

If your exhaust has been expelling far more smoke than you are used to it could be related to a timing belt issue. It will cause the engine to struggle as it tries to compete with its own components and attempt to run properly under duress. This will result in far more exhaust being spewed out the other end.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    few things your mechanic will look out for (you can also do the inspection)

8 Signs your Timing Belt Needs to be Replaced

1. Material Loss

Belt wear is just like tyre wear, as you lose grip you lose traction, which makes the timing belt slip. This is more likely to happen during high load use (pulling a trailer/caravan) or in wet weather.

2. Belt Abrasion

This normally occurs when there is a tensioner or pulley misalignment, excessive heat or bearing failure. Your mechanic will notice the belt’s edges have been worn down to the filaments inside.

3. Cracking

This sign of wear is self-explanatory. Your mechanic will inspect both the topside and underside (rib cross-section); if your vehicle has a neoprene timing belt and there are a lot of cracks this can indicate excessive wear, which needs to be attended to ASAP.

4. Glazing

Glazing is when the timing belt has a shiny or glossy appearance on the underside, which means the belt has gone stiff and isn’t providing the flexibility needed. Your mechanic will check this by trying to put an indent into the surface of the belt. If it doesn’t leave a mark the belt needs replacing.

5. Pilling

As the timing belt ages the material it loses can build up loosely in the rib cross-sections. This can cause belt noise and excess vibration. Your mechanic will also check the accessory brake pulleys for further material build up as they may also need to be changed.

6. Hydroplaning

This occurs when water cannot be dispersed away from the warn belt and pulleys. The belt then hydroplanes on water between the belt and pulleys, which results in a loss of power to engine accessories.

7. Elongation

Material loss can also change the effective length of the belt, moving the tensioner beyond its take-up limit. This will reduce overall tension and thus overall performance.

8. Misalignment

This type of wear will indicate to your mechanic that the tensioner’s internal components may have failed. If the tensioner fails it will result in a high level of noise, vibration and produce excessive heat.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smuiv View Post
    few things your mechanic will look out for (you can also do the inspection)

8 Signs your Timing Belt Needs to be Replaced

1. Material Loss

Belt wear is just like tyre wear, as you lose grip you lose traction, which makes the timing belt slip. This is more likely to happen during high load use (pulling a trailer/caravan) or in wet weather.

2. Belt Abrasion

This normally occurs when there is a tensioner or pulley misalignment, excessive heat or bearing failure. Your mechanic will notice the belt’s edges have been worn down to the filaments inside.

3. Cracking

This sign of wear is self-explanatory. Your mechanic will inspect both the topside and underside (rib cross-section); if your vehicle has a neoprene timing belt and there are a lot of cracks this can indicate excessive wear, which needs to be attended to ASAP.

4. Glazing

Glazing is when the timing belt has a shiny or glossy appearance on the underside, which means the belt has gone stiff and isn’t providing the flexibility needed. Your mechanic will check this by trying to put an indent into the surface of the belt. If it doesn’t leave a mark the belt needs replacing.

5. Pilling

As the timing belt ages the material it loses can build up loosely in the rib cross-sections. This can cause belt noise and excess vibration. Your mechanic will also check the accessory brake pulleys for further material build up as they may also need to be changed.

6. Hydroplaning

This occurs when water cannot be dispersed away from the warn belt and pulleys. The belt then hydroplanes on water between the belt and pulleys, which results in a loss of power to engine accessories.

7. Elongation

Material loss can also change the effective length of the belt, moving the tensioner beyond its take-up limit. This will reduce overall tension and thus overall performance.

8. Misalignment

This type of wear will indicate to your mechanic that the tensioner’s internal components may have failed. If the tensioner fails it will result in a high level of noise, vibration and produce excessive heat.

Thanks for this very informative reply, it is so unfortunate that this incident occurred to me before I realized these things, I just hope for the best and prepare my budget for the repair of my car. I have hesitation on have it fix in the CASA because for sure cost is very expensive, any options on where I can bring my car to save cost, thanks again.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for this very informative reply, it is so unfortunate that this incident occurred to me before I realized these things, I just hope for the best and prepare my budget for the repair of my car. I have hesitation on have it fix in the CASA because for sure cost is very expensive, any options on where I can bring my car to save cost, thanks again.
    If you can contact zix888, he is a very good mechanic and expert in montero

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L01 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Sana nga po ma save pa ang engine, never pa akong nagpalit ng timing belt, mileage ng unit ko is 79K KM, parang feeling ko masyado mabilis na damage base sa experience ko with my other cars na mas matagal kong nagamit, thanks.
    ayun na. bukod sa mileage at years of usage e yung init, alikabok, tubig at langis na tumatalsik sa t-belt ay kasama rin sa "aging" process ng rubber.

tsambahan lang talaga yung mga tumatagal ang timing belt beyond the useful service life.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smuiv View Post
    If you can contact zix888, he is a very good mechanic and expert in montero

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L01 using Tapatalk
    Thanks sa referral, I'll contact zix888.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    ayun na. bukod sa mileage at years of usage e yung init, alikabok, tubig at langis na tumatalsik sa t-belt ay kasama rin sa "aging" process ng rubber.

tsambahan lang talaga yung mga tumatagal ang timing belt beyond the useful service life.
    Ganun na nga po, salamat.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    yes sir. virtually the same.....iba lang siguro ang teeth count ng balancer belt (83 or 99 teeth). atsaka teeth profile (rectangular or round) sa t-belts.
    Thank you sir

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    any recommended shop to do this? I'm actually due for timing belt replacement (based on the manual of 60k - 80k) ... baka meron naman sa inyo mga list of parts to buy sa casa??

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Crash Course on 4D56 Timing Belt  Replacement (with Pics)