New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by viraccat View Post
    I have a 1992 Gli and in the owners manual, toyota recommends using 95 RON gasoline.
    sir can you take a picture on that page of your manual where it recommends 95ron .. pls picture and upload it in a reply ....

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i have seen manuals that indicate a recommended 95 octane rating, but in the same paragraph also claim that the engine can do 91...
    for this corolla, 95 + 91 dibay dibay 2, equals 93, which is what the literature says..
    i had a (non-toyota) EFI car once.. the casa pasted a correction over the manual's recommended octane rating; the old was 95 and the paste-over said 91.
    i suppose it just means, the EFI makes adjustments to accomodate the octane rating of the fuels being used..
    for while in the olden days, octane rating was "equated" with fast and upscale, today the lower octane rating, the cheaper the better for the consumer.. times change...

btw... dezar... pls do not ask me to take pictures and upload.. nabenta ko na sila..
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 21st, 2015 at 12:39 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

i have seen manuals that indicate a recommended 95 octane rating, but in the same paragraph also claim that the engine can do 91...
    for this corolla, 95 + 91 dibay dibay 2, equals 93, which is what the literature says..
    i had a (non-toyota) EFI car once.. the casa pasted a correction over the manual's recommended octane rating; the old was 95 and the paste-over said 91.
    i suppose it just means, the EFI makes adjustments to accomodate the octane rating of the fuels being used..
    for while in the olden days, octane rating was "equated" with fast and upscale, today the lower octane rating, the cheaper the better for the consumer.. times change...

btw... dezar... pls do not ask me to take pictures and upload.. nabenta ko na sila..
    heh heh.
    so you mean i can use a 91ron octance fuel on my EFI corolla bigbody ???

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

heh heh.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post

i mean, you should take pains to read your owner's manual, before you attempt to do something you will want to blame others for, later on.
    if your manual says you can use 91 but you insist on throwing good money away by using 95, then so be it.
    if your manual says 95, but you insist on 91... you are in charge of your life.

in my example above, the (my) manual clearly stated i may use 91, but recommends 95. i thought that meant, the EFI can make adjustments for as low as 91, but if i want to maximize the engine's performance, i should use 95.

so again, read your manual, sir.

alam nyo... kapag may nangyari sa kotse nyo at ang dala-dala nyo sa casa ay print-out from this thread...
    pakitaan lang kayo ng owner's manual ng casa...
    sinong paniniwalaan ng korte?

ohhh...! you have no manual! (from other thread).
    you have several recourses:
    1. look for one on sale in the internet.
    2. borrow from an owner and xerox it.
    3. virtual manual via internet.
    4. tsikoteer here has one and is willing to sell it to you.

btw, in the internet address i saw, glis have a 93 octane rating recommendation. that means, 95 is a safe bet for you for now.
    medyo mahirap kasi makahanap ng 93 octane gas...
    when the engine wears and tears and builds up soot deposits... the actual octane preference changes.. so now, for lack of any info regarding your engine, do 95 and observe if the engine pre-ignites.. if it does, mebbe you should go to a good mechanic.
    again, good luck.

good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 21st, 2015 at 01:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12