New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    The gas meter indicator of my corolla drops (like gas is empty) when reaching "half" and indicator returns back to normal when reaching one-fourth.
    What could be the problem?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the floater perhaps....

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by September08 View Post
    The gas meter indicator of my corolla drops (like gas is empty) when reaching "half" and indicator returns back to normal when reaching one-fourth.

the nickel-chromium wire used for the variable resistor has a cut usually from too much movement of the float when fuel sloshes.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Best guess is the floater in the tank. It either needs a cleaning or replacement.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    thanks for your reply...

where i can find that floater?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks for your reply...

where i can find that floater?
    the component is called fuel gauge sending unit assembly and usually a dealer item. you probably will find a used one, just make sure there is continuity from both ends of the resistive element. when you say floater, it usually means a dead body found on a river or the beach

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    do you have an idea how much this cost?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Suking auto supply. Replacements cost less than 2k

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Your fuel gauge sending unit (fuel tank float) has seen better days. It is best to change it with a new OEM one. Yung mga replacements kasi usually give inaccurate reading. I dont advise them to have it repaired as they become inaccurate.... The OEM commands a premium but it is accurate...

corolla 95 gas meter is dropping