New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Heretic Guest
    My old Toyota Corolla LE didn't have an evident/separate engine coolant reservoir. I usually go with the traditional way of opening up the radiator cap and filling it up with distilled water before I go or if I left the car in a parking lot for 6 hours or so.

I recently retired my Corolla and have replaced it with a Hyundai Matrix CRDI. It has a transparent engine coolant reservoir which the manual says, should be filled up between the full and low mark. Whenever I open up the radiator cap, I could see a blue-green liquid substance, which I assume is the coolant.

Do I have to put distilled water in it or does checking the engine coolant level enough? Or do I have to fill the engine coolant reservoir with a dedicated coolant and the radiator with distilled water?

Sorry if I sound vague. This setup is new to me.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    no distilled water, check ur manual for what kind of coolant u nid, there's a specification should me mentioned somewhere.

just pour the coolant in the reservoir coz radiator will suck it up whenever the coolant gets low and same way radiator will throw it back to reservoir whatever in excess.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah, don't add coolant sa radiator kasi mag-overflow lang yun sa reservoir pag warm up ng engine. kung low ang level sa reservoir add ka lang sa reservoir up to full mark.

or alternatively (not recommended) add sa radiator (with engine cold) pero don't add anymore sa reservoir. problem with this is you don't know how much you are adding so pag sobra maging over naman sa full yung reservoir.

normally you add a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and engine coolant like ethylene glycol, nalcool inhibitor, etc. pag green glycol yun, pag red nalcool.

4. Heretic Guest
    Well that clears everything up. Thanks!

Confused with engine coolant and radiator