New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    is using compressed air when draining the engine oil ok?

every time i do oil change the gas station always use compressed air to push out used oil from the engine.

i've been doing this to my 3 vehicles for a long time now.

just wondering if there are bad effects when doing this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's ok....

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm, i remember an earlier discussion on this topic. i think there's a chance that some water/condensation could settle in the air compressor hose...so you may be effectively blowing water into your engine.

imho patuluin mo na lang ng maigi; pag di ako nagmamadali pinapatulo ko siya overnight. anyways whatever residual dirty oil is probably going to get very very diluted in the new oil you're putting in.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    hmm, i remember an earlier discussion on this topic. i think there's a chance that some water/condensation could settle in the air compressor hose...so you may be effectively blowing water into your engine.
    +1

I just have the mechanic wait for the oil to drain naturally over time. Any remaining old motor oil would mix with the new oil and that is simply acceptable as normal.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    that's why i prefer DIY for maximum draining interval (naturally). but gas stations done these things before to speed up the draining and wala naman problema but we can also request them not to use compressed air if we want. natural draining for me.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Ok lang siguro kung may moisture trap o air filter. Gaano ba karaming moisture para makaapekto sa performance ng langis? Anyway, better be safe than sorry. Researh pa siguro..

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    You can ask the mechanic/technician to DRAIN any water (if any) from the compressor tank. Further, you could ask if there is a water filter attached to the outlet end/hose of the air line.

Like some of you i do my own fluid changes. I like changing my oil after a good drive so the oil is hot (BE CAREFUL Not to get BURNED!!! Use gloves or a thick durable bag over your hand and forearm) and flows out better. I`m not a chemical engineer, but thats what i understand.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    that's why i prefer DIY for maximum draining (naturally). but gas stations have done these thing before to speed up the draining and wala naman problema but we can also request them not to use compressed air if we want. natural draining for me.
    sorry gramatikal eror

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by PatT View Post
    You can ask the mechanic/technician to DRAIN any water (if any) from the compressor tank. Further, you could ask if there is a water filter attached to the outlet end/hose of the air line.
    Come on... just the act of compressing air and then releasing it would make water vapor condense into micro droplets. This is especially true with the big air compressors used in gas stations.

Like some of you i do my own fluid changes. I like changing my oil after a good drive so the oil is hot (BE CAREFUL Not to get BURNED!!! Use gloves or a thick durable bag over your hand and forearm) and flows out better. I`m not a chemical engineer, but thats what i understand.
    just warm up your engine by letting it idle for a while until the temp gauge has reached "normal" operating temp is good enough to get your oil warm enough to flow better. This also prevents the headers or exhaust manifold from being too hot to work near it to replace the oil filter.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    GHOSTHUNTER- I`l probably take your advice on just starting and warming up the car, thanks!

I should probably refrain or not give advice at all to questions any more "technical" than like , "got the tel. no. for so and so shop in banawe.."

I think i`ll just stick to asking questions on this forum instead until the day comes that i become as QUALIFIED as people like you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
compressed air in draining oil