New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yeah, read it.

Same route, but Tessa calculated fuel economy based on each vehicle's odometer... which is wrong. Look at the fuel consumed. They all consumed nearly the same amount of fuel... but driving on the exact same route, the variation in odometer trip readings was up to five or six kilometers off. In such light, the test has to be considered invalid.
    Does this mean that their fuel mileage differences arent far apart anyway? The starex salesman had incredible figures for his fuel mileage which he claims was double that of the old starex. If the consumption isnt far from Nissan, then I dont think it would be "double" that of the old starex...

Anyway, if the vans were driven on a convoy, the vans at the back would have less air drag and have an advantage in fuel economy

You don't do fuel consumption numbers without correcting for odometer error. From the looks of it, the Nissan had the fastest trip meter. So, guess what? It had the best calculated economy. That's fishy in and of itself.
    What odometer error? Arent these things suppose to display the distance, that's all?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    I really believe in CRDi, however, Has anyone read the "Clash of the Titans" article in The Phil. Daily Inquirer?

It compared the Starex vs. Hiace Grandia vs. Urvan.

The Urvan was able to beat the Starex and Hiace in both power and fuel economy, and yet the Urvan doesnt have a CRDi engine, unlike the Starex and Hiace...

It makes me start to doubt CRDi tuloy.
    AFAIK the Urvan in that Clash of the Titans thing is the only manual transmission among the 3, so fuel economy?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    CRDi is one of the greatest improvement in Diesel Engine Technology....Although the technology is a bit pricey but you can equate that to the performance and efficiency of the engine...

Many are in doubt of CRDi technology, this is the same when the EFI engine was introduced replacing Carb engines... at first we encounter troubles and ECU problems which we thought at first cannot be solved by ordinary mechanics.. but now EFI engines can be diagnosed and repaired...Even the unrepairable ECU, now can be repaired

Having a vehicle equipped with a CRDi engine is just like upgrading your HEADLIGHTS from HALOGEN bulbs to HID bulbs... Although HID Bulbs are expensive to purchase and maintain, still it is very efficient, low power consumption compared to Halogen

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    CRDi is one of the greatest improvement in Diesel Engine Technology....Although the technology is a bit pricey but you can equate that to the performance and efficiency of the engine...

Many are in doubt of CRDi technology, this is the same when the EFI engine was introduced replacing Carb engines... at first we encounter troubles and ECU problems which we thought at first cannot be solved by ordinary mechanics.. but now EFI engines can be diagnosed and repaired...Even the unrepairable ECU, now can be repaired

Having a vehicle equipped with a CRDi engine is just like upgrading your HEADLIGHTS from HALOGEN bulbs to HID bulbs... Although HID Bulbs are expensive to purchase and maintain, still it is very efficient, low power consumption compared to Halogen
    Nice one sir nice one indeed.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I really believe in CRDi, however, Has anyone read the "Clash of the Titans" article in The Phil. Daily Inquirer?

It compared the Starex vs. Hiace Grandia vs. Urvan.

The Urvan was able to beat the Starex and Hiace in both power and fuel economy, and yet the Urvan doesnt have a CRDi engine, unlike the Starex and Hiace...

It makes me start to doubt CRDi tuloy.
    my former non-CRDi Strada beats my CRDi car today in terms of fuel economy.

I regularly fill up my strada at average of 55 Liters full tank, and I get 550-580km liters from it.

i fill up my present car at average of 62 liters full tank, and I get only 510-530km liters from it.

all city driving.

my verdict: good riddance to my strada. I always hated that tank of a vehicle

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Does this mean that their fuel mileage differences arent far apart anyway? The starex salesman had incredible figures for his fuel mileage which he claims was double that of the old starex. If the consumption isnt far from Nissan, then I dont think it would be "double" that of the old starex...

Anyway, if the vans were driven on a convoy, the vans at the back would have less air drag and have an advantage in fuel economy

What odometer error? Arent these things suppose to display the distance, that's all?
    If it's double the old Starex, good. The old Starex was kind of thirsty on diesel. Took it to Baguio, got a combined economy of 8.6 km/l.

Doesn't matter in your typical convoy... and there's no indication of which van lead. Slipstreams have a positive effect on fuel economy if you're driving very, very close to the guy in front of you at speeds over 100 km/h. At your regular 80 km/h, the difference isn't crucial.

You calculate fuel economy by dividing distance driven by number of liters used. If your odometer incorrectly displays distance driven, then your economy numbers are wrong. If one vehicle (apparently the Nissan) has an unusually fast odometer... then obviously, it would show better fuel economy than the other two.

---

Many CRDis I've driven recently have not been quite as economical as old-school diesels... but who cares? They're faster, quieter, smoother and better in almost every other sense and they're still more economical than gas engines. The problem is that our local diesel is terrible, and as a result, CRDis have to be tuned conservatively (erring towards the safety side rather than the economy side) to prevent damage.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    if you need LOWER FC from your rides better maintain good driving habits...

Try maintaining speed of 60kph - 80kph and you will see that you get LOW FC...

eventhough you are running slow, you will still reach your destination no matter what...

I always laugh when I see cars speeding at 140kph while i'm doing only 60kph in NLEX or SLEX or Coastal Road and at the end I meet them at the Toll gates, and sometimes i still get pass them at toll gates because they don't have EXACT Toll...

we have a Mitsubishi L300 Exceed with 4D56 engine... used everyday travel of 35kms and for a week (245kms) it consumes 1 full tank of diesel. Speeds in coastal road of 100kph - 110 kph... but now maintain speed of 60kph - 80kph at coastal road for a week and it only consumed Half tank of diesel!!

We sometimes complain of CRDi consumption of diesel higher, that is because we tend to drive these CRDi equipped vehicles faster due to their high torque and responsive engine... we cannot simply control ourselves and we always wanted its POWER and speed so FC is high...CRDi engines are very responsive.. I experience this with Kia Carens CRDi engine... at 2nd gear fully pressing the accelerator will surely pull everyone back to their seats.. and the first time riders are really amazed with the pulling power..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Is Common Rail Technology THAT Good???