New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    as mentioned people are asking what will happen after five years to CRDi engines.. well the first CRDi hilux i saw in thailand was in 2002,, they had it then already,, last june i was there and i had a frend who had a hilux older version not the new ones and its still running well....so what then is realy the problem on some current models of CRDis here? the first thing people tend to say is the fuel is dirty.. but not everyone is having the same problems.. just curious..

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i think the crdi system on the hilux and fort 2.5 d4d has been detuned to compensate for the dirty diesel fuel that has been distributed by some of our fuel providers,my friend also has some problems with his engine and what he did was installed an ecu upgrade or crdi tuning module after that his problem with his crdi is gone,the only problem i think is the knowledge and technical know how of some mechanics or even in the casa is still learning stages,as what we used to have before when the first efi engnines came to the market,but as years progress some even backyard mechanics can tune the efi system.. i like the crdi systems coz it can be tuned with simple crdi tuning upgrade and can produce more horsepower and torque.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Is CRDI good? It is a technological breakthrough in diesel engines. If combined with VGT, it can surpass the performance of the normal efi gas engines of the same displacement both in POWER and ECONOMY. Is it that good - a big YES 24 hrs Le Mans race was won by an Audi CRDI diesel car

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It just expensive compared to gas engines and you really have to justify your mileage if the purpose of your car is to get from Point A to B...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Common rail technology for me is the greatest advancement since Robert Bosch introduced a pump for automotive application. The injection pump is already precision but common rail system coupled with piezo equipped injectors redefines fuel delivery in diesels.
    In the hands of well equipped shops and properly trained technicians, any correction and malfunctioning component can easily be detected thus saving you costly repairs.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I really believe in CRDi, however, Has anyone read the "Clash of the Titans" article in The Phil. Daily Inquirer?

It compared the Starex vs. Hiace Grandia vs. Urvan.

The Urvan was able to beat the Starex and Hiace in both power and fuel economy, and yet the Urvan doesnt have a CRDi engine, unlike the Starex and Hiace...

It makes me start to doubt CRDi tuloy.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Have not read that article. What was the weight to power and emission of all three?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    they have got to be kidding.. the URVAN is running a 2.7L engine (same with my previous service frontier elite)... lumalaklak yun ng fuel pag-rektahan at pagmerung load.

kahit ilan pang owners ng nissan na naka 2.7L engine (TD27) sigurado akong the same ang observations nila.

the test was probably nissan funded kaya bias towards nissan.

ps. para matipid ang TD27, run it with 14" rims with 195/70 na gulong at run it between 80-120kph on 5th gear, para nasa 2K lang ang rpm.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    I really believe in CRDi, however, Has anyone read the "Clash of the Titans" article in The Phil. Daily Inquirer?

It compared the Starex vs. Hiace Grandia vs. Urvan.

The Urvan was able to beat the Starex and Hiace in both power and fuel economy, and yet the Urvan doesnt have a CRDi engine, unlike the Starex and Hiace...

It makes me start to doubt CRDi tuloy.
    Yeah, read it.

Same route, but Tessa calculated fuel economy based on each vehicle's odometer... which is wrong. Look at the fuel consumed. They all consumed nearly the same amount of fuel... but driving on the exact same route, the variation in odometer trip readings was up to five or six kilometers off. In such light, the test has to be considered invalid.

You don't do fuel consumption numbers without correcting for odometer error. From the looks of it, the Nissan had the fastest trip meter. So, guess what? It had the best calculated economy. That's fishy in and of itself.

The testing methodology she used was good (and I enjoy her comparisons, I really liked the Spark/Getz/Picanto one... very informative), but her economy figures in that article were based on faulty data.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    they have got to be kidding.. the URVAN is running a 2.7L engine (same with my previous service frontier elite)... lumalaklak yun ng fuel pag-rektahan at pagmerung load.

kahit ilan pang owners ng nissan na naka 2.7L engine (TD27) sigurado akong the same ang observations nila.

the test was probably nissan funded kaya bias towards nissan.

ps. para matipid ang TD27, run it with 14" rims with 195/70 na gulong at run it between 80-120kph on 5th gear, para nasa 2K lang ang rpm.
    That's what I originally thought. However, I got to read part 3 (I only got to read parts 1 & 3) of the series which compared maintenance costs (costs of parts and labor for oil change, etc)... and in this part, it concluded that Toyota had the cheapest costs. Also,, in the third part, it noted the high resell value of Toyota, which Nissan might not enjoy as much because the Urvan was already an old model.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Is Common Rail Technology THAT Good???