New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Hi,

Toyota Innova 2012 G VVTi Gas, Brand new, 800km odometer. This topic should be applicable to any car too.

Need your advise please.

What are the important points to consider before leaving the car unused for a very long time, say 12 months. And nobody will be able to start the engine periodically. It will be totatlly unused.

Here are a couple of points I thought but they may be wrong too. Please add your inputs or comments.

Prior to leaving the car unused:
    (On appearance)
    - Make sure you cover the entire car using a Car Cover to protect against heavy dust, sun, and rain
    - Inside the vehicle, use a moisture and odor absorber by putting lots of silica gel and charcoal
    ? What else?

(On Tire)
    ? It will definitely deflate over the 12 month period and there is a risk that the tire's shape will get oblong. What to do?

(On Engine and Lubricants)
    ? What to do about the engine oil..should we drain it or leave it as is?
    ? What to do about other fluids like brake, steering, gear, windshield washer, etc? Drain them or leave them as is?

(On Battery)
    ? Disconnect the Battery or not? If we disconnect, then keyless entry will not work and we will have to manually open it using a key. I guess this will be a personal choice. But any implications of disconnecting it or not?

Things to do when you want to use the car again after the long period:
    (On appearance)
    - Maybe get an interior detailing service or clean it thorughly yourself

? Do we have to replace the engine oil and other lubricants first?

(On Tire)
    ? Can we still use the same tire safely?

------------
    And a general question: Will there be negative effects to the engine even after following the preparations above after leaving the car unused for many months?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    things i gave thought over din before i left for a month. buti was able to park my car sa di naarawan. tapos, just inflated my tires to around 40 para nga ma-minimize pagka-oblong. didn't disconnect the battery na rin coz of the keyless entry nga. parang me nabasa akong effect daw pag nawalan ng supply ang alarm. when i arrived though, me karga pa naman battery pero can't crank the engine na. so i just used a jumper cable sa kabilang kotse. but mine is one month nga lang, so will be waiting for inputs too from the masters here for the TS's case..

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead000 View Post
    things i gave thought over din before i left for a month. buti was able to park my car sa di naarawan. tapos, just inflated my tires to around 40 para nga ma-minimize pagka-oblong. didn't disconnect the battery na rin coz of the keyless entry nga. parang me nabasa akong effect daw pag nawalan ng supply ang alarm. when i arrived though, me karga pa naman battery pero can't crank the engine na. so i just used a jumper cable sa kabilang kotse. but mine is one month nga lang, so will be waiting for inputs too from the masters here for the TS's case..
    I had one experience in another car of mine. i left it unused for about two months. I did not take any measures at that time. When I came back, the interior of the car had presence of molds and had odor. It was rainy season back then. So that's why I posted above that maybe the learning is to ensure that I put a lot of silica gel and charcoal. Battery got drained too as I didnt disconnect it prior to leaving the car unused. But maybe because my alram system was kinda faulty...

Any other thoughts guys?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    I work abroad for 4-6months at a time and my car almost sits that long also. It only gets used twice a month by my wife, kahapon she told me na nag dedeflate daw yung isang tire and when she had it checked ok naman yung valve at walang leak so i'm guessing na nag oblong na yung gulong.

So my question is, pag nag oblong ba babalik pa sa original shape if ma gamit na ulit?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by laserbim View Post
    Hi,

Toyota Innova 2012 G VVTi Gas, Brand new, 800km odometer. This topic should be applicable to any car too.

Need your advise please.

What are the important points to consider before leaving the car unused for a very long time, say 12 months. And nobody will be able to start the engine periodically. It will be totatlly unused.

Here are a couple of points I thought but they may be wrong too. Please add your inputs or comments.

Prior to leaving the car unused:
    (On appearance)
    - Make sure you cover the entire car using a Car Cover to protect against heavy dust, sun, and rain
    - Inside the vehicle, use a moisture and odor absorber by putting lots of silica gel and charcoal
    ? What else?

(On Tire)
    ? It will definitely deflate over the 12 month period and there is a risk that the tire's shape will get oblong. What to do?

? What to do about the engine oil..should we drain it or leave it as is?
    ? What to do about other fluids like brake, steering, gear, windshield washer, etc? Drain them or leave them as is?

(On Battery)
    ? Disconnect the Battery or not? If we disconnect, then keyless entry will not work and we will have to manually open it using a key. I guess this will be a personal choice. But any implications of disconnecting it or not?

Things to do when you want to use the car again after the long period:
    (On appearance)
    - Maybe get an interior detailing service or clean it thorughly yourself

? Do we have to replace the engine oil and other lubricants first?

(On Tire)
    ? Can we still use the same tire safely?

------------
    And a general question: Will there be negative effects to the engine even after following the preparations above after leaving the car unused for many months?

this procedure is called "pickling the car". from ground up:
    for extended period of time:
    reduce the tire pressure and protect from UV rays
    raise the vehicle and support with jackstands to unload the suspension
    from under the hood,
    a. change the engine oil and filter and let oil circulate until warm
    b. change the brake fluid and cover the master cylinder air tight (toyota master cylinders are vented allowing moisture to seep into it)
    c. check the protection level of the anti freeze/coolant, if okay, retain
    d. check the transmission fluid
    e. lubricate hood hinges, hood latch and cable, lubricate transmission linkages
    f. protect the battery terminals and battery cable clamps with vaseline to avoid corrosion
    g. if leaving the battery connected, install a battery trickle charger, if not, disconnect battery
    h. use animal repellent under the hood and around the fuel tank area
    the fuel system:
    leave at least half tank of fuel and add fuel stabilizer
    the exhaust system:
    block the exhaust tail pipe with steel wool to prevent mud bees, small insects and rodents from housing inside
    the car's body:
    lubricate door hinges( with vaseline) and locks(with spray oil), lubricate fuel door hinge
    protect the interior by blocking sunlight into the upholstery and dash
    protect the exterior with breathable fabric car cover and further cover with non permeable sheet (polyethylene plastic)
    and last but not the least, protect car from vandalism and theft in a secure, weather resistant enclosure.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    and last but not the least, protect car from vandalism and theft in a secure, weather resistant enclosure.
    ingat nalang din sa carnapfer

yan ang pinaka importante he he he..:D

7. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Elevate the vehicle off the ground using jack stands.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Unused for 12 months? Sell it. Invest the money on something low risk. Buy a new car upon return. Least amount of headaches.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Isa pang kalaban ang mga daga.

Have you inquired with facilities like Alex Car Storage?

Have no idea on the price though.

Car Storage by Alex Restoration
    Last edited by vinj; May 24th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    i agree with this..

Quote Originally Posted by RustyXIII View Post
    Unused for 12 months? Sell it. Invest the money on something low risk. Buy a new car upon return. Least amount of headaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Checklist: if your car will not be used for a long period (months)