New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Intelligent guesses naman iyon. Even dito sa ospital, hindi naman talaga alam ng doctor ang sakit mo. Pero based on statistics, may probable guess na ang attending wherein dun niya ifofocus ang diagnostic work up or emperic treatment mo until malaman kung ano talaga ang sakit mo.

Hindi naman namin pinapa-MRI at CT Scan lahat ng pumasok sa mga pintuan namin.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    thats right but they put in a diagnosis computer to remove guesses. engineering is an exact science

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The computer can only give you a code. It will not tell you what is wrong. Example, you can keep replacing the oxygen sensor as often as you want, but wouldn't it be better to actually find out what is actually fouling the O2 sensor?

Ganun din ang codes. Even top ASE-certified mechs will tell you that. Codes are precisely what they are. A bunch of numbers. You will still have to exercise good clinical (mechanical?) judgement as well as corellate it to the symptoms the vehicle is manifesting to make the correct response. Sure you can follow all the algorithms (it took them almost a month to fix mbt's venture due to this). But it would be nicer if you actually knew what usually goes wrong with a particular vehicle and check those areas first.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for the reply guys.

The check engine cas actually caused by a busted speed sensor. Actually my speedometer also stopped working when the check engine light showed up. I didn't say anything about it coz i thought its a different problem. I had the car checked at megamotion banawe. They said that it could be the speed sensor. When I had a mechanic change the speed sensor with an original surplus (mahal kasi brandnew - 6.5k!) check engine light went off and speedometer worked again!!

It only cost me 1.3k (after maraming tawaran!)

Thanks again for the posts guys!!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    kaya nga engine diagnostics kung wala yon di puro hula na lang. Its stupid for us engineers to put something like a diagnostic computer if were going to guess whats wrong with the engine. Engineering is an exact science.

as for your 02 sensor why replace it. when you have a workshop manual if you know what it is. the code given can be crossed referenced and the possible problems can be ticked off one by one. usually it will say first check blank sensor. this does not mean you replace it. you CHECK and see if there is something wrong with it if not see whats next etc till you get it right.

I cant explain it to people who has not trained you just have to believe me i have managed numerous brands at different casas so you have to trust me since it is i who train technicians after being trained in another country.

It was my specialty for more than 10 years. I wont question your knowledge in being a doctor since you are one. I hope you dont question my experience since its my specialty.

Ill keep quiet now.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm not questioning your specialty. The O2 sensor was just an example. All I'm saying is that the code that appears on the code reader is not the be all and end all of automotive diagnostics as most technicians I have encountered perceive it to be. It is not replacement for sound mechanical judgement and experience. It can only aid you.

And in my O2 sensor example, yes the O2 sensor was fouled when the O2 sensor was bench tested. So they put in a new one. But after a while O2 sensor fouled again. The code pulled only showed O2 sensor failure. Amateur mechanic had to pour over thick books and run the algorithms in the shop manual like crazy. Experienced dude knew what usually caused O2 sensor fouling in particular vehicle. Rectified problem. Job done.

And a loose fuel cap is a VERY common cause of CEL warnings (esp. if you are running OBD II or similar ECU set-up). So why not try it first diba? It does not cost anything and is very easy to rectify. Hindi yung iaasa agad sa code puller. Mapapagastos pa ang client.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    para kumita ang casa. labor rate 800/hr for european for japs i think 250 pa rin. they hook it up automatic 800/250 bayad mo plus vat plus rags etc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Check Engine light is on!