New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    if i were in ms chellay shoes, (i guess mababahuan din kayo, hehehehe! joke) id would rather sell the car and buy the same model. Add a little to find a perfect match for you preference.

wala ka pang problema kung saan magaling na mechanic mo dadalin and much worst, ba ka lokohin ka pa.

just a piece of advice and hope to help you...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We overhauled our 1.3L Corolla in Marikina before and it cost us around 15K to change the timing belt/tensioner bearings, gaskets, piston rings, plus some suspension parts. All parts were OEM (bought it at MR2 in Banawe) and also included labor and machine shop costs. Whats important is that you have agood mechanic and you shop around for the needed parts.

If you get a surplus engine, its recommended that you recondition it as well (change timing belts, gaskets, etc) and the cost will just go up higher. Since your stock engine is a carb, you;'ll also have to do wiring work for the ECU and change your fuel pump as well.

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    jst to make things clear, undecided ako talaga to change/ to rerpair na lang.

ano yun mga dapat kong i consider para ipa overhaul ko lang cya, as i said Parts to buy: intake/exhaust valves, valve guides, valve seals, valve seats, overhauling kit, pistons, piston rings, main bearings, crankshaft bearings, oil seals, etc. an

PAG BLOW BY b eh yun na yun palit makina or pede rin gawin option yun overhaul?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    An overhaul is the usual cure for engines with blown piston rings. The parts that you mentioned are the usual suspects when it comes to overhauling....

I suggest that you go for the overhaul.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by Chellay
    jst to make things clear, undecided ako talaga to change/ to rerpair na lang.

ano yun mga dapat kong i consider para ipa overhaul ko lang cya, as i said Parts to buy: intake/exhaust valves, valve guides, valve seals, valve seats, overhauling kit, pistons, piston rings, main bearings, crankshaft bearings, oil seals, etc. an

PAG BLOW BY b eh yun na yun palit makina or pede rin gawin option yun overhaul?
    Depende lang yan sa kursunada mo. Kung ok lang sa'yo yung 1.3 12-valve na original, mas makakatipid ka nga kung pa-overhaul lang. Pero kung importante sa yo yung "passing power" ika nga, e di it's an opportune time to switch to a more powerful engine.

I personally would go for the engine swap. It's not necessarily true na kung lesser ang displacement, mas economical ang kotse. Depende din kasi sa gearing yung fuel economy.

Here are the pros and cons behind both options:
    A. Overhaul option
    Pros:
    1) 1/4 to 1/3 of the expense of an engine swap.
    2) No need to rewire the car.

Cons:
    1)Mabagal ang 1.3 liter 12-valve engine.

B. Engine Swap option
    Pros:
    1) Car has much more power, much more fun to drive and easier to merge into and pass slower traffic.
    2) Bigger engine may have taller final drive ratio resulting in better fuel economy in the highway.
    3) Overall value of the car improves.

Cons:
    1) More expensive than overhaul
    2) Need to purchase a matching transaxle for the bigger engine,
    3) Need to buy ECU for new engine,
    4) Need to have car rewired to accomodate ECU, its accompanying sensors and servos.

If it was my decision to make, I'd go with the engine swap.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're going to do a change engine, this article at www.toysport.com can give you some highlights on what to expect:

Cars registered in Japan must meet very strict and comprehensive tests, initially after 3 years and then every 2 years. The cost of complying with these test standards can run as much as 30% of the vehicle value. There are almost no cars over 6 years old running! Cars are recycled early, over 4 years old, the owner has to pay the yard to recycle!

.... the result is a lot of good engines being recycled or retired prematurely.

These engines are not street-legal (in US). The Japanese emission standards are tighter than the U.S. but emission controls are totally different.

.... some Japanese spec engines have higher compression and about 10-15% more horsepower, compared to U.S. engines.

These low mileage engines from Japan, however may have been sitting for a couple of months, and the internals are usually dry or rings may be frozen. We oil the cylinders and turn over the engines when we receive them. Engines are checked, but there is no way to guarantee against oil consumption or low compression.

There is absolutely NO WARRANTY on these high-performance engines.

.... we recommend “refreshing”- putting at least new rings, head gasket, timing belts (specially for the older units) and cleaning the oil pan and pump. This assures you that the engine you are installing have no maintenance problems."

I cut some lines (yung may ....)

The thing is, it is still IDEAL na ipabukas mo pa rin yung "bago" mong makina....so gastos ka pa rin.

So unless, you'd be upgrading to a higher displacement engine (1.6L na 4AGE/4AGZE), ipa-overhaul mo na lang ang orig engine mo.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    finally decided ako, ill go for overhaul, na realize ko hindi ako sure sa engine na ipappalit ko, gumana man bka by nxt year ipa overhaul ko na rin, kya overhaul na lang yun stock engine para sure, nxt time na lang ako mag papalit ng engine pag may big budget na eh yaw ko naman tipirin kong mag change engine ako, gsto ko lahat palit... tnx sa inyo

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Chellay
    nxt time na lang ako mag papalit ng engine pag may big budget na eh yaw ko naman tipirin kong mag change engine ako, gsto ko lahat palit... tnx sa inyo
    That's a good thing to do... If you change engine or do major mods, never do any shortcuts as it'll end up with more repairs in the end. That's one thing that some people i meet from time to time just dont fail to grasp.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    chellay, mabagal talaga 2e na engine ng xe and xl. naninibago din ako kase 4af engine ko dati. IMO, mas ok magchange engine to 4age high horse, medyo mahirap daw parts ng 20v na 4age. kelan mo plano magengine swap? siguro kung me kasabay ka mas mura? sa parts and shop ba?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    chellay:::sent you a PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Change Engine Toyota Corolla