New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear dannybe:

There are very few people I would trust to tune those Solex carbs - they really have to know what they are doing.

The people that I do know and trust are not cheap - OK ba budget mo?

When I used to have performance carbs myself (mainly twin-downs, Mikuni Kogyo Solex, Aisan and Weber downdrafts) I cleaned them with lacquer thinner.

It has no residue and will remove most of the varnish and gum in the carb.

The most important thing to remember after soaking the carb for a day in a CLOSED gallon or small drum of lacquer thinner is to DRAIN it immediately and BLOW DRY ALL PASSAGES and CHAMBERS with compressed air.

Never leave a carb with any fluid in it for a long time - corrosion and water condensate will get to it and DESTROY it.

As long as the passages are clean then its probably OK.

Note:

The reason why I used twin downs vs twin sides is very simple - twin downs are very STREETABLE - you can use them to go to work, pick up the wife and kids, and IDLE DECENTLY with the A/C ON in Metro Manila traffic.

No twin sides can do that consistently - that's why NO manufacturer used them on STANDARD vehicles - I'm NOT referring to high-end sports cars - but even they tend to use progressive down-drafts more than side drafts.

Even if you have a complete set of choke tubes, boost venturi's, jets and emulsion tubes, if the weather changes from hot, bright and sunny to cool and rainy - your twin sides will LOSE their TUNE - nothing you can do about it unless you're prepared to re-tune in the middle of the rain.

Of course that's just me - to each his own.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

P.S. Keep on tuning

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hi Dusky,

If the work is worth it then i dont mind the costs just as long as they are reasonable. I dont know if all the jettings are clear though so i have to have them checked.
    The carb builders will also have to tune the carbs after they are bolted on the engine so preferably within makati, mandaluyong pasig area.

what i have now are the carbs and the repair kits with a new main jet which are ready for work to be done.

thanks for the help.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear dannybe:

Nag pm ako sa yo, please pm me back for a reply.

Regards,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi fellow tsikoteers, My problem is high idle speed. around 1500 rpm. i have a hitachi twin carb (from 1980 datsun 180B i think) installed in my nissan stanza model 85. anybody here familiar with this kind of carb? TIA

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir Duskylim,

I would like to ask your expertise on this please:

I have this Carbureted 4g63 SOHC 88 Galant. My problem is that, the Air adjust screw seems not to be working, I mean, I tried adjusting it but nothing's happening to the idling. I tried screwing it IN to the max but the idle stays, and tried to screw it OUT without removing the screw, but still nothing happens. My sparkplugs seems to be filled with black dry carbons everytime I check it (might be a sign of a too rich mixture). Also, my exhaust pipe emmits a gasoline odor.

I would like to ask your suggestions / reco if what are the possible causes and what are the things which I can check or do to fix it.

Thank you so much for your reply

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear jvnj:

Clearly you have a serious carburetor problem, you should have it dismantled and overhauled by a competent repair shop.

If you cannot adjust the mixture on curb idle and your plugs burn rich all the time, you are also wasting a lot of gas.

If you do NOT know a good shop I will recommend one but I must ask the first if they are free.

Now they are a little pricey so PM me if you're interested.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir Dusky,

Sorry for the late reply, had a very busy day at work yesterday. Anyway, thank very much you for your recommendation. You're very right about the fuel consumption, seems I'm only having about 6km a liter. By the way Sir, can you possibly tell me where the recommended shop is? I'm basically located here at Biñan Laguna, hope you can recommend a good carburetor shop somewhere here or in Las Piñas City.

Again, More Power and thank you so much for the assistance!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Sir:

I myself come from Fairview here in the QC.

So sad to say the shops I'm familiar with are from QC also.

I repeat PM me if you're interested and I will call them to make an appointment for you.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Hi mga Sirs. Kelangan ko pong magpaoverhaul ng carburetor. San ba may magaling sa bandang sucat, paranaque at las pinas? Please naman po kasi palyado na andar ng fx ko at isa pang malaking problema eh namamatayan na pag nakaaircon. Idle ko nasa 800rpm w/o a/c, 1100rpm naman pag may aircon tapos pag nag automatic off yung compressor bumababa ng 400rpm then hirap nang makarecover. Help naman po, bago lang ako dito at di masyadong marunong sa sasakyan.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Any help please? Oo nga pala, FX 7K carb gamit ko.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast