New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *woodfire, di ba may EFI na bolt-on kits para sa engine mo?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    *woodfire, di ba may EFI na bolt-on kits para sa engine mo?
    yes, meron binibenta yung HOLLEY na multipoint EFI for small block V8's. For old classic cars, I still feel I have to go carb as what was intended by the manufacturer. Besides, a complete EFI system for an old V8 would be in the range of $2,800-3,200.00 (inclusive of the ecu).

what i did was just to install significantly better parts like a new generation carburetor, better breathing aluminum cylinder heads, intake manifold, larger intake and exhaust valves, ceramic coated headers, etc...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    3k dollars?!? Ngek. Puwede ka nang magpa-supercharge nun, diba? Still, an interesting mod for hot-rodding, though. I've always felt that it's the looks and the spirit of the car that count, not the originality... but then, ang sarap ng glug glug glug ng old-school set-ups.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    3k dollars?!? Ngek. Puwede ka nang magpa-supercharge nun, diba? Still, an interesting mod for hot-rodding, though. I've always felt that it's the looks and the spirit of the car that count, not the originality... but then, ang sarap ng glug glug glug ng old-school set-ups.

hehehe exactly! the glug glug glug and the broooom broooom of the old school V8 exhaust system (tri-Y H-pipe dual exhaust) is exactly what I'm looking for in a classic car. My wife is still wondering why I like such sound (which she considers annoying)... ahh women, they still don't get it, do they hehehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    bumping...me tatanong lang sana ako B)

i noticed a few setups with Weber/Solex side-draft carbs; tinatry ko hanapin ung air intake/filter, til i realized na wala nga talaga.

is this really advisable? aren't you risking long-term damage to your engine that way?

6. Join Date
    May 2008
    anu po ba ang advantages at dis advantages ng de-karburador at efi na makina??

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kamotecueman View Post
    anu po ba ang advantages at dis advantages ng de-karburador at efi na makina??

kamotecueman,
    efi is the better solution to higher miles per gallon rating and air pollution reduction. with carburetors, we had hot idle compensator, high altitude compensator, early fuel evaporation systems, choke systems, throttle check pot or dashpot to name a few mechanical subsystems of the carburetor. most of them if not all had linkages that get stuck in time and needed to be adjusted. carburetor fed engines contributed to more carbon dioxide emissions, oxides of nitrogen, unburnt fuel and evaporated fuel from the carburetor float bowl. an act of congress passed in the united states called for increased mpg and lower evaporative and exhaust emissions. picture this, the efi systems involve computers to constantly adjust air/fuel mixtures to stoichiometric (14.7 pound of air used to burn 1 pound of gasoline). computers make all the adjustments which is very difficult to achieve if not impossible
    jick

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    EFI engines emits cleaner fumes, more responsive, and have better fuel consumption.

Carburetor-fed engines emits more carbon, less responsive especially in cold starts, and less efficient in mixing & burning fuels. That's why it was considered obsolete in the US and other countries during the early 90's.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    kamotecueman,
    efi is the better solution to higher miles per gallon rating and air pollution reduction. with carburetors, we had hot idle compensator, high altitude compensator, early fuel evaporation systems, choke systems, throttle check pot or dashpot to name a few mechanical subsystems of the carburetor. most of them if not all had linkages that get stuck in time and needed to be adjusted. carburetor fed engines contributed to more carbon dioxide emissions, oxides of nitrogen, unburnt fuel and evaporated fuel from the carburetor float bowl. an act of congress passed in the united states called for increased mpg and lower evaporative and exhaust emissions. picture this, the efi systems involve computers to constantly adjust air/fuel mixtures to stoichiometric (14.7 pound of air used to burn 1 pound of gasoline). computers make all the adjustments which is very difficult to achieve if not impossible
    jick
    While it is true that carb fed engines has lots of adjustments to make, my experiences tell me that I can deal with carbs rather than efi engines. Meaning, it's easy for me to maintain carbs than efi, in case you get bugged down anywhere during trips.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As opposed to the finicky EFI systems of yesteryear (60s to 80s), modern 90s and up EFIs are very robust and easy to maintain. Most of the problems you will get are vacuum issues, which you can fix by patching hoses. Electronic ignition control also means that you won't have distributor caps breaking down on you, either.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast