New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Hi everyone!

I've just joined this forum. Mukhang exciting kasi ang mga usapan.

Nakabili ako ng second hand na Pajero (1995). Of course dinala ko agad sa casa (Diamond Motors Quezon Ave) para sa complete check-up. They told me that the unit is okay except that I may need to change the timing belt and idler arm.

May konting tama na daw ang belt. I am not sure how true. Sometimes you suspect these people are not telling you the truth. Kasi sabi din nila may leak daw at kailangan palitan ang gear box. But I asked them to check again, only to be told later na wala pala at puwede pa.

Anyway, my question is do I need to change my timing belt (at only 40K km, first before I have it calibrated. Or could I bring it to Betan for diesel calibration, then change the timing belt after. Or are they independent of each that I can do both in whatever sequence.

Just a newbie asking.

Cheers to all of you here at the forum!

PapaBravs

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    para lang po sa akin.. mas mabuti na pong unahin nyo yung timing belt.. baka kasi maabutan pa kayo ng pagkasira nyan while on the way for calibration... baka nde lang belt ang palitan nyo nyan... after getting the timing belt replaced, and the timing up to specs.. saka ka na pumunta for calibration.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    welcome to dieselclub papabravo, better ask a 2nd opinion or a 3rd or 4th para sure, malay no tama din sila, may mga expert tayo dito tulad ni afrasay, (power steering expert) ungas (suspension and bearing expert) OTEP (motel expert).

afrasay has a cousin/mechanic at obrero manila.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Running at a low 40K kms. and a 1995 model? Pano po ba ang pagkakasabi nila sa timing belt na may tama? Makintab at halos walang ipin na ang belt o baka ang ibig nila sabihin may sign of crack? Nakakaduda pong isipin na 40K ganun kaagad ang timing belt, imo, it should last you double of what it should. Malamang po atrasado ang kilometer reading nyan. Like what they posted, may I suggest you have it checked from another source to have it validated.

Recalibration is another aspect. Napapakiramdaman nyo po ba na parang may kulang sa combustion? Or basa ang tambutso due to unburned diesel? It is either the injection pump filter need cleaning or too early to say, change of delivery valves.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Timing belts are supposed to be replaced at 100,000 kms (or shortly before). Did those guys actually take the cover off to inspect the timing belt?

Is the idler arm you are describing the tensioner of the timing belt or is this the idler arm that is part of the steering system?

A 1995 Pajero with 40K on it sounds pretty dubious to me.

You can have the calibration done before or after the timing belt change. That is if your really need to have it done in the first place. Have it checked muna before proceeding with the operation. An unecessary calibration is not really cheap.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Salamat sa inyong mga insights!

I tend to believe the low mileage kasi Diplomatic car siya, used by an embassy. Dating blue plate. At isa pa sabi ng casa mahirap daw mag-atras at kailangan baklasin pa ang dashboard to determine if tampered.

I am not sure what the mechanics mean sa "may tama" ang timing belt. But I am not prepared to risk it, kaya magpapalit na nga lang ako.

Hindi ako sure kung may compression problem. I can sense a slower response compared to gasoline cars. And parang mas makalampag o maingay lang than usual - though this is my first diesel.

On the idler arm, hindi ko honestly alam, except that its part of the steering system. Gusto ng casa palitan ko yon kasi may konting 'play' daw.

Can you suggest a good and honest shop I can have my car check, for second opinion?

Again thanks for the inputs!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    timing belt needs to be replaced evry 50,00km daw, malapit na din yan if the mileage is true. palitan mo na din for ur peace of mind, hirap na kc kung tipidtipid tapos naputulan ka, baba pa makina mo, as for the calibration, just observe the pajero, anyway u can take it to a calibration center for a free estimate, it could be as low as 2ooopeso to a hi of 10,000pesoses....basta suggest ko lang, replace timing belt agad lalo na if u don't know the owner...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Idler arm na gamit ko is yung Three Five (555) na brand. Mas mura ito sa orig pero ok ang quality. Less than Php 2,000.00 siya last summer kasama na instillation.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, it would be quite difficult to say that you have a bad timing belt not unless they removed the cover(hindi mo kasi basta basta mai-inspect yun). guys from casa suggested to have the timing belts changed from 60k to 80k km. if the odometer is correct, 40k is still ok.

with a 40k km odometer on a 1995 model, medyo mahirap ito.
    to be sure, look for the service manual na lang kung meron. and have this confirmed.

with regards to the idler arm, please check na rin yung pitman arm. usually kasi sabay yan kung bumigay. i just recently replaced(diy) my idler arm(P1,8k - 555 brand) and pitman arm(P1k - 555 brand) on my 98 paj. pina align ko na lang sa servitek(P400) afterwards.

with regards to calibration since this is a whole new ball game for you (from gas to diesel), have it checked na lang(at your favorite calibration shop). they will tell you naman if theres something wrong with it.

happy motoring!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whether the mileage is true or not, (5000km a year is kinda hard to manage IMO) i'd probably change the timing belt given the age of the car just for peace of mind. A snapped timing belt will be even more costly.

On the suspension, if you're from the south area, try JP Wheels in Paranaque (going towards BF from Sucat Road). I had a '98 Pajero fixed there recently (kalampag and steering play problems).. .we tightened the shocks, changed the idler arm and ball joints... swabe na.

On replacement suspension parts, 555 is a good brand. If not, just get OEM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Calibration and change of timing belt