New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Naniniwala ba kayo sa article na ito sa
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ang bottomline ng tip eh 'wag sundin ang recommended break-in ng car manufacturer - mas maganda kung high revs ang takbo pero bago ito gawin, full warm up muna. Tapos puro mineral oils muna habang di pa nag-seat ang piston rings (upto 10,000 Km).

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Ako naman, pag brand new, tinatakbo ko agad sa Ilocos or Baguio. As for using mineral oils before reaching the 10,000km. mark, tama iyan.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    umm sige, sino mauna..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    taken from mymitsu ito diba?

basta sakin rule of thumb..ang sobra ay laging nakakasama.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have no idea who this guy is...and these are some really controversial statements that he's making...

but as i read through the article, some of the stuff seems to make sense. of course, i'm no automotive engineer, but i know a little bit about how engines work.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I have 2 questions po:

1.) What exactly does "proper warm-up" mean? For me, it's keeping the engine under 3000rpm for the first 5 mins after a cold start. Tama ba?

2.) I had a '93 Lancer 1.6GLXi. My break-in (too undisciplined to follow manual ) was keep the rpms under 4000. Top speed is 120 km/h. I feel that because of this, up to '96, it was the best performing stock GLXi anywhere (ESi - wala yan!). Up to '96, I could even kick VTEC ass. Mileage was 9km/l. By '97, bigla wala na... even lousy slow GLis (no offense po) can beat me. Mileage deteriorated slowly until 7.5km/l nalang. What happened? The maintenance routine did not change... Why after 3 years the love was gone? After reading the piston sealing, I wonder... Can anyone theorize what happened?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I do remember fighting long and hard over this crackpot theory a long time ago on another board... I don't really remember what we decided about it though...

Just one observation: There's a reason media test-drive units drive like crap compared to privately owned cars after the first ten thousand kilometers have gone by.

Still, with delivery mileage on test units already in, those first twenty miles he's talking about are often used up before you get home!

Many manufacturers don't require an "easy" break in any more, as part tolerances are tighter, but it's cultural inertia, I guess, or habit that we don't like running engines hard for the first 1000 km/

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Use mineral oils until 10k??? Uh oh... I just had my Altis' very first 1,000 km checkup/tune up with Toyota and I asked for fully synthetic oil. They didn't say anything about using mineral oil until 10,000 km. Am I doomed?!?! What should I do??? Help!!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    What should I do??? Help!!!
    DOn't listen to what that article says... ;)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Use mineral oils until 10k??? Uh oh... I just had my Altis' very first 1,000 km checkup/tune up with Toyota and I asked for fully synthetic oil. They didn't say anything about using mineral oil until 10,000 km. Am I doomed?!?! What should I do??? Help!!!
    Sorry for scaring you, it seems I was still sticking to the old recommendations.

# MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.
    FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Break it HARD (Engine)