New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    the first owner used full synthetic after the 10,000km pms. and from the record, nasusundan naman ang every 10K pms. got the ZZ Dec 2007. using RP during oil changes every 10,000Km
    Hmmm... I heard that the recommended interval was 5,000km between oil changes for the ZZ equipped Corolla because of the sludging issue.

I've seen the same thing on a Corolla in SpeedLab and it had around half the mileage on the odometer you have on your car.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Hmmm... I heard that the recommended interval was 5,000km between oil changes for the ZZ equipped Corolla because of the sludging issue.

I've seen the same thing on a Corolla in SpeedLab and it had around half the mileage on the odometer you have on your car.
    is it better for me to just use mineral oils and oil change every 5,000 km?

typical na byahe per week ay 4x sta rosa laguna - alabang, 1x sta rosa - pasig.

bihira lang na ma stuck in heavy traffic.
    Last edited by meledson; February 24th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Even so... this being a tropical country, the heat is a big factor. 5k is best.

120,000 kilometers ain't too bad (though having a religiously maintained engine suddenly go still sucks)... but it might have lasted longer if the previous owners had followed the 5k instead...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is it better for me to just use mineral oils and oil change every 5,000 km?

typical na byahe per week ay 4x sta rosa laguna - alabang, 1x sta rosa - pasig.

bihira lang na ma stuck in heavy traffic.
    I would suggest every 5,000km as a precaution on your specific model of car.

Or sell it off and get another car with less issues.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I would suggest every 5,000km as a precaution on your specific model of car.

Or sell it off and get another car with less issues.
    The original plan was to sell the Altis before the ned of the year and buy a new vehicle.

Anyway with the overhaul. I think the altis will run much better thatn when we got it.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I have seen one altis with a 28500 mileage on it, the oil gelled, so they replace the oil, drive it for around 200km and notice blue smoke, check the oil again, it has lost 2 liters, they added again 2 liters, but the smoke is still there, they called me to check it out. My first question when was the last time they had an oil change prior to the last time they did it, luckily the owner is very truthful to himself and said that, "that was very long time ago and he remembered that i was probably 5K and they put a long drain oil. Had to open replace the piston ring, for the rings are already stuck in their grooves, all over the engine from the topmost cooler part which is the valve cover to the lowest oil pan, all the oil passage, you can see this gelled oil. Clean every part of it. And recommended using mineral oil instead of synthetic oil and follow the 5km oil change interval. Up to now the engine still runs, with almost 100t km on it. IMO, this black sludge or gelled oil, is caused by not changing the oil, oil has its lifespan. using it beyond its time will cause to gel. I have also seen it in every kind of engine that has been neglected in its oil change. But other owners of car would not admit it, some would.

Quote Originally Posted by ajOT View Post
    is there really a better way to avoid engine sludge or black death?

correct me on this one, please; coz after reading this, I think this is what am gonna be doing:
    - change oil every 5k kms.
    - change oil filter (original Toyota Oil filter)
    - flush engine and let it run for 5-10 mins

what is your idea about some mechanics, blowing some air using a compressor on the engine before they put the new oil, para daw matangal ang dumi at mga naiwan na residue? how reliable is this one....

:car:
    Heavy oil particulate will be the last one to drop, the heaviest will be the slowest and most likely will not drop, this will require a little push from a short burst of dry air from a compressor, just a burst or two. Some will agree, others may not, because air contain moisture. But for me, I do it, because i have a good air/water separator with my air compressor and also, just a burst or two. Some oil pans are have been deformed by stones or whatever, whereby some portion of it is actually lower than the drain plug. But to be sure, i just ask my customer whether, to use compressed air or not.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Tumirik kahapon si Mrs sa SLEX, dala nya ang ZZ. napatow nya papunta sa mechaniko namin. Ng buksan ang makina. SLUDGE!

Sorry camera from a phone ang gamit.

DOHC ang makina. iyong exhaust cam hindi umiikot pag inis-start ang makina.

for complete engine overhaul. then sa weekend, ipapa machine shop ang makina

any update sir mel?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    have to buy a new cylinder head.

natapos na sa machine shop, konting linos pa by the mekaniko, then i-aasemble na ang makina tomorrow. Mybe by sunday, puwede ng isalpak ang makina sa engine bay.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    have to buy a new cylinder head.

natapos na sa machine shop, konting linos pa by the mekaniko, then i-aasemble na ang makina tomorrow. Mybe by sunday, puwede ng isalpak ang makina sa engine bay.
    too bad...throw it in experience na lang sir. medyo malaki din siguro nagstos niyo sir?

any sludge besides in the cam area? sa pistons po?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    the first owner used full synthetic after the 10,000km pms. and from the record, nasusundan naman ang every 10K pms. got the ZZ Dec 2007. using RP during oil changes every 10,000Km

yan ang problema sa gumagamit ng synthetic oil.. kasi they tend to extend the change oil interval from 5k to 10k kasi nga naka synthetic..

others would say mas tipid kahit mas mahal ang synthetic oil due to "longer change oil interval"

try using semi synthetic or regular oil and change every 5k mas ok yun.. you used synthetic oil siguro kasi alam mo na "sensitive" daw yung engine ZZ sa sludging but still nag ka sludge pa din

nakakita na ako ng case before ng sludging sa mazda 323 engine.. well maintained yun using synthetic oil ayun nag sludge at inoverhaul din.. bumabara yan sa oil galleries kaya titirik yung engine hirap na kasi.. pero yung mazda ko dati regular oil lang

been using semi synthetic and regular oil sa past cars namin and hindi pa nangyari yan sludging..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Black Sludge and Toyota/Lexus