New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Can anyone please give me advise on what could be the cause of the noise in my engine? The mechanics are telling me that the engine sound is normal but I know for a fact (having driven the car since 96 when it was brand new) that it is far from normal. This is the first time that this has happened and I really want to solve the problem.

I noticed that it is not silent anymore unlike before that I can't tell the difference if the engine is running or not. Now it feels as though the car is at low idling like less than 800 although it is still actually at 1,000 which is how it has been from the start. The bad sound of the engine started when my AC compressor started making noise. I just bought a brand new Denso AC compressor this Monday and thought that it would solve the problem and yet the engine still sounds bad. Could it be that the engine got damaged because I waited a long time (3 months) to have the compressor replaced?

Since the new compressor didn't solve the problem, the next day I went to a mechanic and told him my concerns. He checked the transmission support and told me that all four were cracked. Although as I understand in the past threads that the nginig when the transmission support is cracked is for the entire car. The nginig in my car is just the engine or it is not tahimik anymore. Regardless, I will have the supports replaced.

I also have been running my car on low oil (exactly on the low marker) for I don't know how long. I was due for my 5,000 km change oil when I saw it so I quickly added fresh oil (I always stock up on change oil parts) It was the first time that I experienced my car losing engine oil. I was really surprised because there are no oil marks in our garage. I already had the cam oil seal, crank oil seal and valve oil seal replaced yesterday. I am having the oil changed tomorrow since I am running between full and low oil. Could running on minimum oil level damaged my engine and caused it to become noisy?

Your reply will be much appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    check the belts also baka loose or di siya match sa specs ng pulley or check yung idler pulley baka sira na bearing kung kakapalit niyo lang ng aircon

its hard to tell what causing the prob sir maybe patingin niyo sa trusted mechanic medyo kung engine ang problem niyo baka internals na yan

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung carburated engine po yan, baka wala lang sa tono?
    kung may tunog makinilya, maluwag na ang nuts ng valves.
    squeeking sound, check the bearings and belts.
    kung pati dashboard kasama na sa pag-alog, check/replace engine supports.
    goodluck sir!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    sir, ipagawa niyo na po agad yan para di pa madamay yung ibang parts..dadami sira niyan pag pinapatakbo pa niyo yan...try mo ipa-check kay speedyfix..sakaling ma-resolve prob niyo sa kotse mo..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    hey there, it looks like you'll be needing a Valve Adjustment asap. running your engine low on oil will definitely cause the Valvetrain to tap louder than normal. and it will cause the engine to Knock and Sieze specially if you ran it really low on oil. but since that your Oil level is at the "L" mark (or below the crosshatch of the dip stick) then Im pretty sure you were about 1-1.5 quarts low on oil.

aite, peace.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. I'll have the valves checked. It does have a knocking noise (tok tok) similar to a typewriter but hardly noticeable unless you listen closely. Howcome the mechanic didn't suspect the valves? You guys think I should look for another mechanic? He said it could be due to the cracked transmission, although I know for a fact that it is cracked, I have a suspicion that it is not the cause of the noisy engine. I ran in on idle a while ago and I felt like I was inside an old diesel car (like my lolo's old gemini)

Is the valve adjustment a major repair? Are there any parts that I have to replace?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nope... hindi sya major repair... minor lang yan. No parts to replace.

Pagawa mo na lang sa ibang mechanic.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    May kilala kayo sa Makati or Paranaque (Bicutan/Sucat) area na gumagawa ng adjustment?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's hard to diagnose without hearing it ourselves.

Since your car is now 12 years old, it could be any number of things...

1. The transmission supports. Bad rubber supports here and in the engine mounts will cause shaking and increased engine noise.

2. Valves are a possibility, but that's a ticking sound, not a knocking sound.

3. Pulleys... idler pulley and bearings and tensioners... etcetera... you have to check these.

4. Worst case? That knocking might be something loose inside the engine... maybe valves, maybe a piston is slapping around inside its bore...

----

Replace what needs to be replaced first, observe, then check again. If you're losing oil, you may need to check your head gasket already... you might be due for an overhaul soon, but I suggest you do a compression or leakdown test on the engine before proceeding, as once the head is off, you'll incur a pretty big labor bill.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone have any idea how much an overhaul would cost? I asked casa and they said that they will do the valve clearance adjustment when they do the top overhaul. Although I don't plan to take it to the casa coz they gave me a price that I think is outrageous.

Would appreciate suggestions on good mechanics/shops in the Paranaque/Makati Area.

Can I still use my car or would running it cause further damage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cause of Engine Noise?