New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Since I started I thread regarding overrated cars, let's talk about overrated gasoline engines. Shall we?
    1. The infamous baddest engine in the Phil. B16A - performance wise, it's a f*ckin great engine, image wise, it's praised like a GOD and it smites anyone in it's path? (Do you really think so? hmmm)
    2. Toyota's 4AGE - Sabi nga ng toyota lovers, "We can beat the B16 with this baby anytime anyday!". (Cute noh?)
    These are the top two engines in my list. 3rd maybe the 4G63 but then it's not everyday you see one. The top on my list, psshhh... Selling like hotcakes and hotter than an overheating engine. Kayo what do you guys think?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Overrated in my opinion is the Saturn Engine of Mitsu lancers circa 1980s. Kulang na lang sabihin ng mga mekaniko na lilipad yung kotse dahil sa sobrang bilis daw nito.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Until you have a clear definition of what "over-rated" means to you, these "over/under" rated threads are quite pointless...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Errrmmmm... I think it's the various fanbois (who elevate these engines/cars to untouchable status) that are overrated.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Until you have a clear definition of what "over-rated" means to you, these "over/under" rated threads are quite pointless...
    +1.

I don't know about you but these "overrated (insert thing here)" threads smell like big rant threads and nothing else.

JC: Parang ang laki-laki ng problema mo sa mga Honda. If you hate them that much, don't buy them. That's far more effective than putting up all these threads in a black propaganda campaign.

ETO NA NAMAN PO TAYO

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Over-rated to me is something that give too much credit for. Something that would seem like it is too perfect. Something flawless. Unbreakable. Unbeatable. Wala po akong galit sa Honda or Toyota. I own a Vti as a matter of fact. Well, I obeserved that a lot of people give this "over-rating" to these engines here. Maybe it could just make a difference if you, the experts explain.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Maybe you're just anxious about them B16's

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Magulo lang po talaga ako. Naiirita lang siguro kasi puro B16 & 4age naririnig ko. Close thread nalang. para walang gulo. wakekekkekke

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You really have to clarify what over-rated means.

So, people say the B16 is great... so... what?

Most 1.6 liter engines make about 110-120 hp... the B16 makes 160-170 hp as stock.

The most powerful builds for streetable 1.6s I've seen peter out at about 200-300 horsepower. With the wide availability of parts, upgrades, and such, for the B16, it's possible to build 400-500 hp street blocks. No, it's not cheap or easy, but I've seen a couple.

The B16 isn't without its faults... it lacks torque, and the open-deck design and possible crankwalk are a problem in high power applications... but it's been rightly hailed as the "Chevy Small Block of the 90s". Simply because it's relatively cheap, easy to upgrade, and makes a lot of power.

"Over-rated" means that the thing we are talking about doesn't meet expectations... or that it's not capable of the things people say it's capable of... unfortunately, the B16 is very capable... hence, not over-rated.

I'd say that the same goes for the 4AGE... how many other motors exist in so many varieties and applications? From the 135 horse redtop 4AGEs of the Hachi-Roku era to the 4AGZE, 4AGTE and the 20Vs... up to the legendary (but rare)240hp Formula Atlantic motors... the 4AGE is adaptable to many more configurations than the B16... transverse mid-engine rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive and longitudinal rear-wheel drive... it's one of the engines of choice for small kit-car and track-car makers, though many newer kits with the MR layout prefer the B16/B18 or the Nissan SR20.

These engines form the backbone of many backyard tuner industries and racing concerns... they're cheap, they make lots of power, and they're reliable. Over-rated? Not bloody likely.

Hated? Feared? Definitely. Especially by those of us who labor long and hard on our "inferior" motors to beat that guy with the 4AGE swap on the track... ...Gut-Damn, those things are fast.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You really have to clarify what over-rated means.

So, people say the B16 is great... so... what?

Most 1.6 liter engines make about 110-120 hp... the B16 makes 160-170 hp as stock.

The most powerful builds for streetable 1.6s I've seen peter out at about 200-300 horsepower. With the wide availability of parts, upgrades, and such, for the B16, it's possible to build 400-500 hp street blocks. No, it's not cheap or easy, but I've seen a couple.

The B16 isn't without its faults... it lacks torque, and the open-deck design and possible crankwalk are a problem in high power applications... but it's been rightly hailed as the "Chevy Small Block of the 90s". Simply because it's relatively cheap, easy to upgrade, and makes a lot of power.

"Over-rated" means that the thing we are talking about doesn't meet expectations... or that it's not capable of the things people say it's capable of... unfortunately, the B16 is very capable... hence, not over-rated.

I'd say that the same goes for the 4AGE... how many other motors exist in so many varieties and applications? From the 135 horse redtop 4AGEs of the Hachi-Roku era to the 4AGZE, 4AGTE and the 20Vs... up to the legendary (but rare)240hp Formula Atlantic motors... the 4AGE is adaptable to many more configurations than the B16... transverse mid-engine rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive and longitudinal rear-wheel drive... it's one of the engines of choice for small kit-car and track-car makers, though many newer kits with the MR layout prefer the B16/B18 or the Nissan SR20.

These engines form the backbone of many backyard tuner industries and racing concerns... they're cheap, they make lots of power, and they're reliable. Over-rated? Not bloody likely.

Hated? Feared? Definitely. Especially by those of us who labor long and hard on our "inferior" motors to beat that guy with the 4AGE swap on the track... ...Gut-Damn, those things are fast.
    Holy Sh*t, how do you know all this stuff?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Overrated engines... Eto nanaman po tayo.