New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone used this to fix leaking oil seals in a diesel engine?

ATP Automotive AT-25 Re-Seal

Supposed to recondition rubber seals safely.

Even Scotty recommends it.
    How to Fix a Oil Seal Leak in Your Car - YouTube

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Has anyone used this to fix leaking oil seals in a diesel engine?

ATP Automotive AT-25 Re-Seal

Supposed to recondition rubber seals safely.

Even Scotty recommends it.
    How to Fix a Oil Seal Leak in Your Car - YouTube
    I'd replace the seals & instead use AT-205 to keep suspension bushes, steering & drive shaft boots conditioned & supple.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    I'd replace the seals & instead use AT-205 to keep suspension bushes, steering & drive shaft boots conditioned & supple.

But that would mean a top overhaul. Don't want to go that route yet if possible. If no risk to the engine I'd much rather try this, then have it overhauled if it doesn't work.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Specifically, where is the leak coming from?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Specifically, where is the leak coming from?
    Engine is burning oil but only visible at startup. Rebuilder says it might be the valve seals after they ran a compression test. Since this car has around 80TKm on it and never saw extended oil change intervals I suspect one or two of the oil brands I used shrank the seals.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I recommend that you get a second opinion.

Compression tests are usually an indication of the condition of your piston rings and valve adjustment/valve seats. Oil consumption increases as blow-by gets worse.

Another possible source of oil consumption is the turbo. If the bearings are worn down enough, it may leak engine oil into the intake. If this is the case, treat this with urgency as this is one of the more common cause for Diesel to enter a runaway condition.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If it means anything turbo shaft play (x, y, z) does seem to be minimal. I do want to have it checked somewhere else but can't find a decent shop I can trust. The last place I went to wanted to rebuild the thing already without providing specifics as to why.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If it means anything turbo shaft play (x, y, z) does seem to be minimal. I do want to have it checked somewhere else but can't find a decent shop I can trust. The last place I went to wanted to rebuild the thing already without providing specifics as to why.
    Until you get a more solid diagnosis, I don't recommend blindly pouring any additive or quick-fix fluid into the engine.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    But Scotty recommends it.

If anyone can point me to a trusted shop who can diagnose properly I'd much appreciate it.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    But Scotty recommends it.

If anyone can point me to a trusted shop who can diagnose properly I'd much appreciate it.
    Does your engine have visible leaks? Those StopLeaks are just seal conditioners to rejuvenate & swell tired rubber seals, gaskets & O-rings. I'd be more confident using High Mileage Oils which do the same & more. They claim to have detergents that are aimed at reducing sludge. If your engine is experiencing power loss & blowby, these conditioners or HM synthetics won't help.
    High Mileage Oils are blended differently brand to brand...Amsoil's Signature looks impressive...Group IV & V Blend. PAO has lower Noack Volatilty(Noack Rest determines a lube's evap loss at high temps) than the mineral based lower groups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast