New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I haven't seen it locally but it has an excellent reputation as a Group III oil. Someone at BITOG says it's similar if not identical to Shell Helix Ultra. Pennzoil btw is owned by Shell (SOPUS - Shell Oil Products US).

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Rx Ph View Post
    I haven't seen it locally but it has an excellent reputation as a Group III oil.
    Group III Synthetic means its just modified Mineral Oil. I wouldnt waste my money on this.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    99.9% of cars on the road don't need Group IV or V based oil either. Any SL or SM rated oil would be more than enough protection (at the right viscosity). Unless you were a dedicated track driver or drive a hot running turbo engine, PAO or ester-based synthetics would be a waste of money too.

Also, some Group III based oil products do outperform some Group IV or V synthetics based on used oil analysis (UOA). Base stocks are only part of the overall package, the additives that the manufacturer uses are critical too.

I would choose the P590/L Shell Helix Ultra anytime over the P900/L Group V I used to run in my 184 HP engine. I'll go back to Group IV or V synthetics only if I had a Skyline or WRX STi.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008

I would choose the P590/L Shell Helix Ultra anytime over the P900/L Group V I used to run in my 184 HP engine. I'll go back to Group IV or V synthetics only if I had a Skyline or WRX STi.
    So you admit that Group IV and V are the better performing oil. Because you will use it on the better cars.

Shell shouldn't be charging P590/li for modified mineral oil. Mineral-oil base stocks sell for just P55 Pesos per liter wholesale in Bataan. The big 3 oil companies source it from there. Then they start adding their own additives.

Group IV and V Synthetics are built up molecule by molecule. They are not petroleum-based therefore are TRUE synthetics.

NASA specifies Group IV (PAO) synthetic in their space vehicles. That says a lot.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There's no question that Group IV or V base stocks:
    - shear less at sustained high-temp high-rpm driving
    - oxidize less at very high temps (>150°C)
    - flow better at very low temps (<20°C)

The question is whether your average daily-driven car needs such protection. Even a Group III oil is overkill for most cars.

Sure NASA specs Group IV, but our cars obviously don't go through the conditions and temp ranges that the space shuttle does (-90°C at the mesosphere and >1,000°C at the thermosphere). If Honda wanted to use materials and fluids used by NASA, the everyday Civic would probably cost more than P50 million.

Would you use titanium alloys for your frame just because it's stronger and lighter than steel? No, because steel does the job at the right price. Would I put Yokohama ADVAN Neovas on a Vios? No, because it won't see the track. Same with oil, you don't need high-end expensive oil to protect almost all of the engines out there.

Choose oil at the right viscosity, with an API SL or SM rating for gasoline engines, CH-4 or CI-4 for diesel engines, or ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 for Euro cars. Mineral or synthetic, for most engines it doesn't really matter as long as you change the oil and filter regularly.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mineral or synthetic, for most engines it doesn't really matter as long as you change the oil and filter regularly.
    i agree to this

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    in the end, it's what value for money you get. pay a lot more for the local group III oils or less for better quality group IV oils... not much of a question imo.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    So has anyone seen this or anything that LL-01 oil?

anybody ever seen this oil locally - pennzoil platinum?