New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    newbie lang bibili kami ng 2nd hand car.. ano ba mas okay? EFI or Carb? ayaw ng bro ko ng EFI.. mahal daw pag pagawa at sirain daw compare sa carb? kaya ang gusto niya carb yung car na bibilhin pero halos lahat ng kotse ngayon, EFI na.. ang alam ko, mahal talaga yun pag nasira pero hindi naman siguro after ilang months sira agad after ipagawa.. ano naman pinagkaiba pag carb? ano ang advantage at disadvantage ng EFI sa Carb? need your opinion/advice.. tnx!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    i don't know much about engines and only know the basics. but when it comes to buying cars, just make sure to have a trusted AND skilled mechanic check the target purchase with you, be it an EFI or Carb.

Also, with the 2011 deadline for RP oil companies to upgrade ALL gas products to be at least an E10 variant, i think best route for you is to go EFI. that's just a year and a half away from now.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Go with EFI. In my experience, it is much more reliable than the legacy carbureted engine. It is more fuel-efficient and practically removes the "tune-up" part to just replacing the spark plugs and/or changing the oil/oil filter. Besides, the kind of fuel efficiency and significantly lower emissions that you get from EFI more than pays for the system in the long run.

And if you're into performance, EFI is much more easier to work with using modern tools that can remap the ECM to help squeeze out every last bit of power from your enginer.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Efi is the way to go as oj88 just said.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    it's no longer 1979 dude, so if i were you i'd get an EFi car na.

oh, and front wheel drive cars are also as reliable as rear wheel ones. and even if the newer cars these days are made of "lata" (tin?), they're about 100x safer than the old school's thicker metal shells.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    EFI equipped engines are more fuel efficient and responsive compared with carburated ones. It is not sirain as long it is properly maintained and serviced by a competent shop equipped with scan tool to diagnose any trouble codes. Just don't bring it to an ordinary mechanic who has no experience and training on diagnosing EFI engines just like you encounter side walk mechanics along Banaue area. Chances are your car will encounter more trouble than solutions just in case. Besides, EFI engines are E10 fuel ready compared with carburated ones.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nickriingen View Post
    Besides, EFI engines are E10 fuel ready compared with carburated ones.
    Not all EFI engines are E10 compatible.

E10 related discussion threads:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59295

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52659

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Not all EFI engines are E10 compatible.

E10 related discussion threads:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59295

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52659
    Agree. That's a common misconception. Early Honda PGM-FI are as vulnerable to ethanol as most carbureted engines.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Carburated engines has much less parts that it's EFI counter parts so it is easier to repair.

But the technology of EFI engines is already matured and these engines last as long as carburated ones. The advantage of EFI engines are it more powerfull and efficient than a carburated counterpart.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If we're comparing brand-new to brand-new replacement parts... EFi, hands-down.

You save a lot on fuel with EFI... about 10-25%, probably, depending on traffic and engine condition. With the carburetor, you're constantly checking the choke, cleaning it out (to keep economy up) and worrying about the jets... eventually, you'll have to overhaul it... probably more than once... and then finally replace it. A carb replacement, brand new, is 20-30k pesos.

EFI systems cost more than that... but you'll never replace the ECU, unless it's been flooded... you'll hardly ever have to service the injectors, either... the most you'll have to do is replace the sensors... a MAF sensor doesn't cost more than 5k pesos... and you don't often have to replace one... just clean it from time to time. O2 sensors can also go bad, but they also cost around 5k or less to replace. And those are the only two common maintenance items for EFI.

I used to bemoan how EFI was harder to maintain than a carburetor... but eventually, I got over it. With electronics parts becoming easier and easier to source, EFI is becoming more and more attractive than carbs. It's like the difference between an old analog telephone and a digital phone... Analog is technically cheaper to produce and maintain, but now that digital phones are so cheap and common, why bother? (except, of course, if you like collecting old school stuff)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
EFI..sirain?