New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    In my innova, though its diesel, my fuel warning sign lights up at around 400-420km. Since I get around 9-9.7km/liter in cebu, that leads to around 43-45 liters. We have the same tank capacity, though yours is gas variant. With 55 liter stated capacity, that means we have around 10 liters reserve.

On the issue of possible rust if tanks are perennially kept low levels, its not likely to happen with regular use of your car. Do this when your tank is 1/4 level or lower. Open your gas tank. Poke your finger inside and scrape the side, as deep inside as you can. You will feel there is fuel coated on the side. And that's at the mouth of your fuel tank. What more if inside. Moisture development is not that big a deal as well, as long as our cars are regularly used. Moisture will be captured by our filters, with most vehicles now equipped with a water separator. Excess water that is damaging to the engines will come from refueling from suspect gas stations rather than from moisture development from within.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    In my innova, though its diesel, my fuel warning sign lights up at around 400-420km. Since I get around 9-9.7km/liter in cebu, that leads to around 43-45 liters. We have the same tank capacity, though yours is gas variant. With 55 liter stated capacity, that means we have around 10 liters reserve.

On the issue of possible rust if tanks are perennially kept low levels, its not likely to happen with regular use of your car. Do this when your tank is 1/4 level or lower. Open your gas tank. Poke your finger inside and scrape the side, as deep inside as you can. You will feel there is fuel coated on the side. And that's at the mouth of your fuel tank. What more if inside. Moisture development is not that big a deal as well, as long as our cars are regularly used. Moisture will be captured by our filters, with most vehicles now equipped with a water separator. Excess water that is damaging to the engines will come from refueling from suspect gas stations rather than from moisture development from within.
    Sir, since mine is an Innova too, though gas variant, have you tried to notice the info regrading range- can we use this to determine how many kilometers we could reach with the gas quantity sa car natin. By the way, I am also from Cebu...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    my ride is only an e variant. What you mentioned only comes with the G variant and up. I'm not too sure with the innova, though I've seen that in other vehicles. It tells you how economical you drive by providing you either km/liter or liter/km. It is affected by several conditions: traffic, road gradient, how light/heavy you step on the gas pedal, etc. On my part, I monitor my fuel economy since my first 1K mileage. I am already hitting 60K. And its all in my notebook in the glove compartment. So when the fuel warning light comes on, you shouldn't panic. In the beginning, the light fluctuates on and off. That means you have 10, even more liters left. Its when the light doesn't switch off. I believe that starts at around 7 or so left. That's when the "E" word changes from "empty" to "exciting".

Should you or shouldn't you let your fuel level go down that low? On the issue of dirt/sediments, Toyota claims their fuel filter is very efficient. So it should take care of any sediments that may be taken in. How much sediments are there? Other rides that I have emptied the tank and had it drained/opened up, then collected, it was not as much as I expected. Looking at it, I don't think it was sufficient enough to cause any problem with the filter. But then again, I don't know how much sediment will cause the filter to require replacement. but if it happens, just have the filter replaced. I don't think it should be something we should worry too much about. You should be more worried if you run out of fuel in the middle of the road.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Always Running on Low Gas, what are its damaging effects?