The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Got this from another thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by jplazo
    Before buying a K&N and other overpriced filters, check this out:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

K&N attempted to counter the findings... but with contradictory statements.

The bottomline is that the stock filter does the BEST filtration and with minimal pressure drop. Branded after markets do lousier filtration with 2 to 8% more airflow.

For stock cars, this sneeze of extra air isn't worth the extra expense.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    maybe the one who wrote the article should have specified he was comparing aftermarket "drop-in" airfilters?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Buti na lang wala akong pera hehe. K&N drop-in filter: Php 4000++. Paper replacement filter: Php 300.00. That extra sneeze of air will not benefit me because I rarely go above 3k rpm. Besides with the pollution in the city I want to get as much protection as I can.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It is known that drop-in aftermarket filters do not increase your engine's performance because of the constriction and bends in the stock intake tubing.

Cone-type filters & straight intake tubings will increase an engine's performance.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think that what the author is trying to point out is that the filtration capability of aftermarket filters is not up par with OEM filters.

Ergo - sacrificing filtration capability is not worth it for the minimal additional airflow gained.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unless of course you're willing to sacrifice engine longevity for that little extra oomph.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    I think that what the author is trying to point out is that the filtration capability of aftermarket filters is not up par with OEM filters.

Ergo - sacrificing filtration capability is not worth it for the minimal additional airflow gained.
    personally it depends. I have been using K&N cone-type filters for years with no problems with my cars.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    hmmm.... this is good info... now that i'm planning to install a cone-type filter, i'm having secod thoughts....

will wait for other feedback, though...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    better naman talaga ang filtering capability ng OEM air filter kahit k&n or apexi pa icompare yan. sa sobrang restrictive, makakapasok pa ba ang dumi. unlike the aftermarket filters, open talaga surface niya. better for performance lang talaga ang K&N. pero ang point is K&n and apexi are 2 of the best in filtering sa lahat ng aftermarket filters. but of course nothing beats OEM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's why I don't wash my open-type filter (in the 323) that often... AFAIK - dirt in the filter helps in the filtering process.

but for the Rav4, I'm planning to keep it stock (plus with the HUGE air filter needed - I wonder how much would a drop-in K&N filter cost).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Aftermarket Airfilters - Just a Hype?