New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    If i switch my aircon to no.3 would it give an extra load that will increase gas consumption?
    or is it just the same whether it is in no.1,2 and 3?

sorry for my ignorance.........

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rad11 View Post
    If i switch my aircon to no.3 would it give an extra load that will increase gas consumption?

generally its more of the function of the aircon's thermostat than the blower. Setting the thermostat to a low setting (less cold) would cycle the compressor less often.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rad11 View Post

increasing the fan speed eats up more current not gas.
    increasing the thermostat level would surely increase gas consumption
    because of the extra load by the engine driving the compressor.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    The aircon air blower uses electrical current from the battery or the alternator which also has an effect on gas consumption. Its the thermostat setting that you should be aware, it controls the compressor which is directly driven by the engine, the colder the setting...the more the compressor will work, more work...more gas.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di ba same current consumption whether 1, 2 0r 3 ang setting ng fan? may mga resistors of different resistor values say, no resistor (coils) for full (no.3) fan setting, then may ex. 1kohm for no. 2 and 2 kohms for no. 3. kaya basically you're just loading up the battery going to the fan para mabago mo yun speed.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    di ba same current consumption whether 1, 2 0r 3 ang setting ng fan? may mga resistors of different resistor values say, no resistor (coils) for full (no.3) fan setting, then may ex. 1kohm for no. 2 and 2 kohms for no. 3. kaya basically you're just loading up the battery going to the fan para mabago mo yun speed.
    D po sir afrasay,

Current = Voltage/Resistance (I=E/R). Inversely proportional po ang current and resistance. With a constant voltage, of 12V (13.8V) in a car, increasing the resistance decrease the current thus lowering the load on the electrical system. Adding a resistor in series with the fan decreases the voltage at the fan that results to a lower speed.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    for me i dnt really care much bout gas savings... not that im filthy rich either.. but i hav my reasons.. what i do in my starex is to keep the fan at number 1, and the termostat at the coldest level. in this way i feel it will be more effective, and use less energy from the engine because the compressor doesnt work for longer period of time trying to cool the inside of the car..than when you hav it at a lower setting.. it will turn off for longer time and then be on for a longer time too.. so i dnt really ther is dat much difference...
    i have magazine where they did a survey on the savings of using the aircon of a car and not using it.. the savings was insignificant... when you dnt use your aircon... well thats just my 2 cents..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    D po sir afrasay,

Current = Voltage/Resistance (I=E/R). Inversely proportional po ang current and resistance. With a constant voltage, of 12V (13.8V) in a car, increasing the resistance decrease the current thus lowering the load on the electrical system. Adding a resistor in series with the fan decreases the voltage at the fan that results to a lower speed.
    Oo nga pala voltage ang hinihinaan...thanks for the correction. ;)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    looking only at the fan, then yes it will have an effect. higher fan speed = higher current from the alternator, and the alternator is driven by the engine.

BUT remember that "cool" is subjective. you can have the fan at #1 and the thermostat at its coolest setting but you can always have the same effect with the fan at #3 and the thermostat at low. "wind factor" tawag dun. so since it is the compressor that has the higher load on the engine and not the alternator then having the fan at #3 and the thermostat at low saves more gas.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    afaik, it is the temperature difference between exterior and interior that determines the input energy/power required ... regardless of thermostat setting or fan speed, you will need more power if you want a cooler cabin.

however, an airconditioning system is so inefficient that there could be more losses from the compressor than from the fan motor, so that less usage of compressor (with higher fan speed) could prove to be more efficient (lesser total input power) to maintain the same temperature difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
added engine load????