New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Help naman po mga sir....bumili po ako ng owner type jeep na engine is 4K ano po bang magandang set-up for that na hindi mabibitin sa takbo???kc 4 speed pa ung transmission ko. and need pa ba ng simota air filter para sa carb???at breather???ty po and more power!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Pushrod engine? Hmmm ... go hot rodding

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzy_argie View Post
    Help naman po mga sir....bumili po ako ng owner type jeep na engine is 4K ano po bang magandang set-up for that na hindi mabibitin sa takbo???kc 4 speed pa ung transmission ko. and need pa ba ng simota air filter para sa carb???at breather???ty po and more power!
    Dear fizzy:

The best (and easiest) thing you can do for yourself is to make sure the engine is in good condition and to give it a comprehensive tune-up.

Change the spark plugs, points, condenser (if not electronic ignition) and set the gaps (spark and contact points) correctly.

Another very important thing to do is to ADJUST the VALVES CORRECTLY.

For better FUEL ECONOMY, have the mechanic set them about 0.001" (plus 1 mil to both intake and exhaust valve adjustment) loose from standard settings - not only will you idle smoother, but the engine will be easier to drive and run cooler.

Replace the air filter regularly, and clean it regularly.

I personally don't recommend using aftermarket mesh air filters as they are difficult to maintain and expensive to boot.

You can do what I did - add a 2nd air cleaner to the engine, using a paper element filter.

Change the oil regularly and the oil filter with every oil change.

Be conservative with your ignition timing - don't over advance, its very stressful on the engine and tends to make it overheat.

Make sure you high-tension cables are in good condition - no lost spark energy.

Have your carburetor checked, cleaned and if necessary overhauled.

Keep the stock size exhaust pipes and mufflers from the original vehicle (Tamaraw or Corolla).

Remember - big pipes and big mufflers result in BIG FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Have you transmission and differential oil checked and replaced if necessary.

Check your tire pressure and wheel alignment.

Last, and this is very important - drive defensively and NOT like you're racing.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Ty so much for the help sir Dusky Lim....btw po regarding po sa mufflers and headers..naka scab po kasi ang exhaust pipe ko and my headers is 4:2:1 setting..malakas po ba un magconsume ng gas???and last question may langitngit po ung bandang kaliwang tire ko some mechanics told me na baka disk pad lng ang problem kaya lumalangitngit ang tunog dahil upod na ang pads ko..is there any advice po na makakatulong sakin about sa mga sinabi kong indication ng owner ko...ty in advance.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear fizzy:

I have already posted a lot of advice on this thread -

"Tailpipe fuel consumption effect" - please go there for answers to your questions.

Here's the link-
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71419

As to brake pads, some vehicles, like mine, have wear indicators on the pads, a rod contacts the disk and squeals loudly when the pads have reached the end of their life.

Others give no indication, I remember a close friend forgetting to regularly check and replace his brake pads of his Hyundai Starex, the metal backing on pads got WELDED to the Disk Rotor - and he had to replace everything.

The moral of the story is - Check Your Brake Pads REGULARLY.

With respect to your squeal (langitngit) its possible that the mechanic who last replaced the pads did NOT return the set of thin spacers or washers - which are supposed to STOP the system from squealing - they're called "Anti-Squeal Shims".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dusky Lim

4K engine ano po bang magandang set-up (pero matipid sa gas)