New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi to all,

Nag overheat po corolla ko yesterday (4AFE).. I was travelling along araneta ave yesterday when I notice that my temp gauge are rising, so I decided to pull the car to the near by gas station, the temp reading almost heat the red line but the engine did not die.. I pour water to the radiator to make it cold but the temp reading did not go down, so i decided to turn of the engine to make it cold, after 20 min I decided to open the rediator cup start the engine again and add water, the temp start to rise agian so I decided to call a mechanic, finally the culprit was a busted thermostat, luckily celica ( toyota parts supllier) was near by for the parts. After installing the new thermostat it all work well again, my question is what are the thing should I check that might be damage due to this overheating,

Tnx

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by batosai View Post
    my question is what are the thing should I check that might be damage due to this overheating,
    Tnx
    Overheating engines might warp the heat or block.

Cylinder compression test would help check if your engine is still healthy.

Also checking the engine oil and radiator water for contamination would also help.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi to all,

Nag overheat po corolla ko yesterday (4AFE).. I was travelling along araneta ave yesterday when I notice that my temp gauge are rising, so I decided to pull the car to the near by gas station, the temp reading almost heat the red line but the engine did not die.. I pour water to the radiator to make it cold but the temp reading did not go down, so i decided to turn of the engine to make it cold, after 20 min I decided to open the rediator cup start the engine again and add water, the temp start to rise agian so I decided to call a mechanic, finally the culprit was a busted thermostat, luckily celica ( toyota parts supllier) was near by for the parts. After installing the new thermostat it all work well again, my question is what are the thing should I check that might be damage due to this overheating,

Tnx

don't do it again. never open the radiator cap with the engine hot unless you don't like your eyebrows anymore. never add cold water to a hot engine let alone overheating. let it cool off by itself first before opening the cap or adding coolant. quenching an overheated engine usually results in cylinder head gasket damage or cracked cylinder head. on bimetalllic engines (aluminum cylinder head/cast iron block) which has different expansion rates, quenching the heat results in shearing action to the gasket. good luck
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; June 17th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    don't do it again. never open the radiator cap with the engine hot unless you don't like your eyebrows anymore. never add cold water to a hot engine let alone overheating. let it cool off by itself first before opening the cap or adding coolant. quenching an overheated engine usually results in cylinder head gasket damage or cracked cylinder head. on bimetalllic engines (aluminum cylinder head/cast iron block) which has different expansion rates, quenching the heat results in shearing action to the gasket. good luck

Sir ndi q nga po binuksan ang cap nung mainit pa kasi natatakot ako, alam ko matindi ang pressure once na nag overheat ang engine, sir any hint or idea kung panu ko malalaman if may tama ang gasket or head before ako mag consult sa mekaniko, and one thing na napansin ko after this overheating parang lumapot ung oil ko against sa dati upon checking sa dip stick, cause din po kaya ito ng overheat, I had my oil change just a month ago ( Shell semi-synthetic gamit ko ) do i need to change oil again?

TIA

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Sir ndi q nga po binuksan ang cap nung mainit pa kasi natatakot ako, alam ko matindi ang pressure once na nag overheat ang engine, sir any hint or idea kung panu ko malalaman if may tama ang gasket or head before ako mag consult sa mekaniko, and one thing na napansin ko after this overheating parang lumapot ung oil ko against sa dati upon checking sa dip stick, cause din po kaya ito ng overheat, I had my oil change just a month ago ( Shell semi-synthetic gamit ko ) do i need to change oil again?

TIA

easy telltale signs of damage to check are:
    1. check the oil filler cap for milkshake like emulsion
    2. check the oil dipstick for oil/antifreeze emulsion and for corrosion on the dipstick end
    3. check the radiator cap, surge tank gasket and return hose for swelling of rubber components
    4. check the tailpipe for steam when running engine. occasional steam upon start up is normal (droplets of water coming off the exhaust even with the engine warms up is a sign of trouble)
    5. listen for engine rough idling or puffing at the exhaust tail pipe.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    sa experince ko as technician sa dealer overseas sa toyota dealer pag overheat ang problima nagconduct kami ng cumbustion leak test malalaman mo d2 kong sira need na pulldown ng cylinder head para check yun warpage ng cylinder head or nasira ang head gasket.yan ang kailangan mo na performed na inspection sa car..
    hope na makatulong sa yu ito.....

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    ano ba nasira?? yung thermostat to keep the water re-circulating inside the engine until it reaches the engines operating temperature?? or the temp sending unit?? if the temp sending unit got busted (with single wire) do not worry as your temp reading that time was inaccurate, but if it is the other thermostat then you should check your oil for signs for water in oil mix also monitor your temp from time to time. if your engine was damaged due to overheating, for sure it will overheat again until you fix the problem

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Since the temp never stayed at the hot portion for any significant amount of time, I'd say that for the most part, your engine is fine.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lexxus View Post
    sa experince ko as technician sa dealer overseas sa toyota dealer pag overheat ang problima nagconduct kami ng cumbustion leak test malalaman mo d2 kong sira need na pulldown ng cylinder head para check yun warpage ng cylinder head or nasira ang head gasket.yan ang kailangan mo na performed na inspection sa car..
    hope na makatulong sa yu ito.....
    Saan po kaya shop na may nag coconduct ng leak test and how much po kaya ang charge?

Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    ano ba nasira?? yung thermostat to keep the water re-circulating inside the engine until it reaches the engines operating temperature?? or the temp sending unit?? if the temp sending unit got busted (with single wire) do not worry as your temp reading that time was inaccurate, but if it is the other thermostat then you should check your oil for signs for water in oil mix also monitor your temp from time to time. if your engine was damaged due to overheating, for sure it will overheat again until you fix the problem
    Yes sir the ung thermostat po na nag open close not the sending unit, when it got busted pinalitan q na po. so far never had this overheating problem again and ndi naman po nag bago ung temperature reading after palitan ung thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Since the temp never stayed at the hot portion for any significant amount of time, I'd say that for the most part, your engine is fine.
    Sana nga po...

Thanks po ng marami sa inyong lahat..

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi to all,

Tnx

Batosai,

Nung nag overheat ba ang kotse mo nag amoy goma na sunog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
4AFE Overheat!!!