New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    I just got my 2E engine swapped with a 4-AGE Black Top engine in my '93 Corolla XL. I am impressed with the engine's power and I enjoy driving it in NLEX until I noticed that it would have an occasional "hiccup" or "engine jerk" specially in the 4th and 5th gear. Also, I noticed that sometimes the RPM drops too low during gear change and at one point it even made the engine stall. Any idea what's causing this and what should I do to correct it? Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    check the itb's and sensors. or bring it back to whoever installed it for you so they can check it.

3. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    check the itb's and sensors. or bring it back to whoever installed it for you so they can check it.
    Thank you for the reply sir.

I already brought the car back to the shop where I had my engine installed. The shop owner even test drove it but due to traffic in the roads near the shop, we weren't able to run in 4th or 5th gear long enough to experience the engine jerk. He said that he has some theories though on what may be causing this:

1.) Exhaust system still has the stock pipings and muffler which may be restricting back flow.
    2.) Car has not been used for some months which could have produced some vapor in the tank causing water to mix with the fuel.

By the way, idling is also erratic from 1300 RPM to 700 RPM. At times, RPM also dips low (around 600 RPM) from 2nd gear to neutral while slowing down. I don't know if it's just with how I drive.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I also have a 2e engine (1998 XE) that I wanna swap out for a BT. But I become hesitant when I see problems like this... BTs are suppose to be the best non-modified upgrade we can have. I hope it's nothing serious and easily solveable. Pls post updates re your engine's issue so I can learn more about what I have to look out for.

Thank you.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the car itself wasn't used for months, I might think the gasoline has gone "stale"? That's what the people who do auto-LPG kits tell their customers NOT filling their gasoline tank to the full level because if gasoline is not used within a certain time frame (months). (Since auto-lpg converted cars only use gasoline to start and lubricate, a full tank can last a few months). It would go "stale" or change in octane value due to vaporization of the more volatile parts of the mix.

To solve, emptying the gasoline tank of the old gasoline and pumping some fresh hi-octane gasoline might solve the problem. Also using a different brand of hi-octane gasoline might help.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    too small and exhaust will probably not cause the jerk

bad gas might but should also do it in all other gears.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zunich05 View Post
    I just got my 2E engine swapped with a 4-AGE Black Top engine in my '93 Corolla XL. I am impressed with the engine's power and I enjoy driving it in NLEX until I noticed that it would have an occasional "hiccup" or "engine jerk" specially in the 4th and 5th gear. Also, I noticed that sometimes the RPM drops too low during gear change and at one point it even made the engine stall. Any idea what's causing this and what should I do to correct it? Thanks in advance!

hey bro, check for Vacuum leaks and check the Timing. also, have the TPS checked as well (common problem for these engines).

aite, peace.

4-AGE Blacktop engine jerk