New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I read a thread in one of the car club sites that suggests to run your car at 200kph or more once in a while to decarbonize the engine. Is this true? If so how often? Tried it recently kaso nakakatakot na. Thanks for the input in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    huh? san ka naman tatakbo ng 200 kph dito?
    imho, all bs po.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BS, as long as your RPM is high enough it doesn't matter how fast you are going... Safer way of doing this is to use a machine like Carbon Clean or Snap On's version.

how high should the rpm be?....does revving up also enough?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    a redline a day keeps the mechanic away... ;)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by city
    how high should the rpm be?....does revving up also enough?

imho. occassionally, doing 4k-5k on neutral while parked will do...
    pero not worth it... carbon is a sticky material.
    i would go with the cleaners recommended by Mr. David.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Redlining through all the gears... I think that's what you call an "Italian Tune-up!"

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it is what is called the "ferrari tune up". pedal to the metal all the way tune up. the guys at ferrari do it, hence the name. they say it works, cleaning not only the exhaust but also any deposits in the valves, pistons and cylinder head. so i do it once in a while but not really 200 kph but just almost to the red line of the engine, say put it in 3rd gear only. i do it at nlex and just keep it under 120 kph. and since my car is a/t then under 120 kph at 5500-6000 rpm means 3rd gear (invecs II kasi, pag 4th gear e 3200 rpm lang ang abot).

pag naka-neutral hindi pwede since the throttle will be partly open only. in fact you can red line the engine at neutral with the throttle only 1/3 open in most engines. dapat fully open throttle so there will be more exhaust gases to sput out the carbon.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    200 kph just to decarbonized? dilikado yan i won't risk life/lives just for that. push every gear above it's max torque once in a while will do. IMO
    Last edited by XTO; January 20th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore
    huh? san ka naman tatakbo ng 200 kph dito?
    imho, all bs po.
    I did it sa coastal, i thought i was stupid though.
    Nabasa ko yun as a reply to a maintenance and repair topic eh, the guy who replied is a mechanic and said that the car he recieved for checkup after he checked and repaired it, he ran it * 200kph once in a while to "decarbonize" it.

I guess I'll just use carb cleaners and other spray stuff..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
200kph to decarbonize your engine...