New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Speed
    hmmmm no audi engine???

I wonder what midinite will say about this.....
    The VW 2.0T mentioned above also say it is used in the A3 and A4.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    yung Wards 10 Best engine? may nakakaalam ba?
    ...ang Nissan VQ engine matagal nang mainstay sa awards na yan eh...
    bagging awards year after year.

Best 1.0 liter to 1.4 liter
    Volkswagen 1.4-liter TSI Twincharger — VW Golf (European model)
    IMO, id rather pick a Mazda RX8's (1.3L) rotary engine in this category...

dba parang mashadong European biased...san ba yung awards na ito?

btw, also diesels should have a separate category from petrol powered variants.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    maybe coz the mazda rotary engine is very fragile and drinks oil..kaya mdyo mura ang surplus rx8 thats available in japan kasi after 60-70k kms the engine will encounter major problems daw..sayang gusto ko pa naman rx8

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    hindi pa ba na cure ng Mazda yun?

when Car and Driver made a long term of the Mazda RX7 back in 93.... they have had 9 unscheduled stops during the entire 35,000 miles...talking bout reliability, mukhang mejo tagilid ang RX7... but i recall that they already tested the RX8 just this recently and i think it stood the test fairly well... just with that pesky CEL probs but the engine is perfectly fine. also the RX7 back then had turbochargers something the RX8 doesnt have but still impressive to have produced 238hp vs 255hp of the RX7 turbo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...azda-rx-8.html

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think Audi's RS4 V8 would be a good contender, only it was in the same bracket as the M5's engine... oops. 0.2 liters less, and it could have clobbered the M3's engine (which is still good... but nowhere near as impressive as that V8).

The Renesis isn't as impressive as the Twincharger... even though it's more reliable than old rotaries, it's a wonder in this day and age to see an engine that needs to drink oil to keep from overheating. The Twincharger, on the other hand, produces 2.0 power while still maintaining excellent fuel consumption.

I'd have picked Mazda's 2.3 direct injection turbo over the Subaru, but, oh well...

I'd like to know what the criteria are, and who came up with the segments. It's not an even representation, methinks. Shouldn't there be a section for economy engines and for performance engines? And mass-market as compared to expensive engines? The only engines there that aren't on expensive cars are the Subaru 2.5 and the VW 2.0, and even then, the term "cheap" or "economy" doesn't exactly apply to them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08
    hindi pa ba na cure ng Mazda yun?

when Car and Driver made a long term of the Mazda RX7 back in 93.... they have had 9 unscheduled stops during the entire 35,000 miles...talking bout reliability, mukhang mejo tagilid ang RX7... but i recall that they already tested the RX8 just this recently and i think it stood the test fairly well... just with that pesky CEL probs but the engine is perfectly fine. also the RX7 back then had turbochargers something the RX8 doesnt have but still impressive to have produced 238hp vs 255hp of the RX7 turbo.
    yup i wouldve thought mazda had cured that problem..but the contact i had, who could get any car you want from japan, told me that the rx8 were very fragile and will have engine problems once it reaches 60k kms and above. he recommended the s2000 and 350Z instead..but i didnt want a conversion job like i saw in my friend's 05 celica.

i was really tempted..imagine a 2003 rx8 with just 35k kms for just under 1.5M

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    BMW and toyota HANDS DOWN!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    About the Awards

The International Engine of the Year Awards have become one of the most sought-after automotive accolades and an effective marketing tool for triumphant marques.

Judged by a panel of renowned motoring journalists from 29 countries as disparate as the USA, Japan, China, Russia, New Zealand, India, Korea, Germany, France, South Africa, and the UK, the Awards highlight and acknowledge underhood engineering excellence.

Judges apply their impressions from driving today's latest cars to help them find the powerplants that offer the best driveability, performance, economy, and refinement, and reward manufacturers for the successful application of advanced engine technology.

The Awards are organised by UKIP Media & Events - Automotive Magazines Division, Britain’s largest group of technical car publications that include Engine Technology International, Automotive Testing Technology International, Tire Technology International, Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Technology International, Vehicle Dynamics International, Professional Motorsport World and European Automotive Components News.

to find out more...http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Ward's 10 Best Engines:
    Audi AG: 2L FSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)

Audi AG: 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)

BMW AG: 3L DOHC I-6 (330i)

DaimlerChrysler AG: 5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Dodge Charger R/T)

Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT)

General Motors Corp.: 2L supercharged DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS)

General Motors Corp.: 2.8L turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Saab 9-3 Aero)

Mazda Motor Corp.: 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed 6)

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 6MT)

Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2006 Engine of the Year Award