New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    another suggestion nung isang technician, meron daw syang surplus na nissan alternator. medyo mas malaki kesa sa existing alternator ko. sabi nya mas maganda daw yun kasi mas malakas ang bato ng kuryente. ia-adjust na lang daw nya adjuster para magkasya.

tama po ba yung sinabi nya?
    hindi nya sisirain ang battery ko or ang mga electricals sa kotse?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    dagdag ko lang po....
    hindi naman sya mahirap mag start sa umaga. one click nga lang po.

natatakot lang kasi akong mamatayan sa kalsada kaya nagwo-worry ako.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rollyic View Post
    another suggestion nung isang technician, meron daw syang surplus na nissan alternator. medyo mas malaki kesa sa existing alternator ko. sabi nya mas maganda daw yun kasi mas malakas ang bato ng kuryente. ia-adjust na lang daw nya adjuster para magkasya.

tama po ba yung sinabi nya?
    hindi nya sisirain ang battery ko or ang mga electricals sa kotse?
    Using an alternator not meant for your car model is a hit or miss thing. Unless you know the trade, it's usually not worth the headache later.

Case in point, my kid brother's Hyundai Getz broke down due to a faulty alternator (dead rectifier/regulator module, to be exact). Being a non-techie, he went ahead with the Banawe technician's suggestion of using a used alternator from a Hyundai Besta. It charged the battery alright and for the most part, it did its job. However, we started noticing that the engine idles funny when we switch on the hazard lights. We later concluded that this is likely an incompatibility between the engine's ECU/electrical load sensor (if equipped) and the field coil. He shelled out about 4k for everything but only got to use the replacement alternator for 6-7 months before it too, died.

With my influence, we decided to go with a brand new OEM alternator and the car has been running ever so smoothly since last November. Expensive, but well worth it.

OT: Funny thing with my bro's Getz... the battery warning idiot lamp did not light up during the two incidents the alternator conked out. But the idiot lamp works with the ignition on and the engine off. Go figure. As a workaround, I just got him a 700-peso cigarette lighter plug-in voltmeter. I just told him that if the voltage goes below 12V with the engine running and all accessories turned off, drive it to the nearest gas station, just to be on the safe side.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Using an alternator not meant for your car model is a hit or miss thing. Unless you know the trade, it's usually not worth the headache later.

Case in point, my kid brother's Hyundai Getz broke down due to a faulty alternator (dead rectifier/regulator module, to be exact). Being a non-techie, he went ahead with the Banawe technician's suggestion of using a used alternator from a Hyundai Besta. It charged the battery alright and for the most part, it did its job. However, we started noticing that the engine idles funny when we switch on the hazard lights. We later concluded that this is likely an incompatibility between the engine's ECU/electrical load sensor (if equipped) and the field coil. He shelled out about 4k for everything but only got to use the replacement alternator for 6-7 months before it too, died.

With my influence, we decided to go with a brand new OEM alternator and the car has been running ever so smoothly since last November. Expensive, but well worth it.

OT: Funny thing with my bro's Getz... the battery warning idiot lamp did not light up during the two incidents the alternator conked out. But the idiot lamp works with the ignition on and the engine off. Go figure. As a workaround, I just got him a 700-peso cigarette lighter plug-in voltmeter. I just told him that if the voltage goes below 12V with the engine running and all accessories turned off, drive it to the nearest gas station, just to be on the safe side.
    sir san po pwedeng makabili ng cigarette lighter plug-in voltmeter?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    sir san po pwedeng makabili ng cigarette lighter plug-in voltmeter?
    Bought it from a member at TeamFD. Found at least a couple of sellers on Sulit. Just search for "voltmeter". What you want is something that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Exact pic of it installed on my bro's Getz.

Good luck!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    sir bakit ang reading 12.25v lang? thus it means may problema din sa alternator yung getz ng bro. nyo?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    sir bakit ang reading 12.25v lang? thus it means may problema din sa alternator yung getz ng bro. nyo?
    The engine wasn't running when I took the pic. I Just turned the key to ACC for this demonstration. With the engine running, it goes up to ~14V.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
what is the right gauge for battery?