New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What is the Longest Life of your Battery?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 2 yrs

4 4.55%
  • 2 years

20 22.73%
  • 3 years

20 22.73%
  • 4 years

23 26.14%
  • 5 yrs and over

21 23.86%
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Btw, price of battery kept on increasing. i purchased Amaron Hi-Life 2SM in jawe 2yrs ago at 5200 early this year it is 5500 and now it cost 5800. Motolite Gold is around 6700 for 2SM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    most of today's cars, you register the new replacement battery to the pcm. this is common to cars where the voltage regulator is in the pcm itself. if the replacement battery is not registered, the pcm will tend to overcharge since it will have learned (block learn memory) the state of health of the old battery and apply it to the new battery, hence, the possibility of overcharging the new battery
    TBH, this is largely unnecessary if they can only make the charging system a little smarter. It's not a freakin' pacemaker.

I rue the day this feature is introduced on econoboxes.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    thanks.

i do not know why older cars are recommended to upgrade to larger battery. if i have to guess, "sales talk". heh heh.

in my older cars, when i needed to replace the factory battery, i opted for the next smaller size. i did not notice any longevity changes, naman.
    the battery's main function, is to start the engine. once started and running, it is the alternator that does the electrical chores.
    i remember a tire center i use to frequent. agressive sila mag offer "upsize" ng gulong. 185 instead of 175 ng stock etc. di na lang ako umimik pero sa isip ko wala naman good reason for that other than baka mas malaki margin nila kapag kumagat ka. stock naman ang mags ko

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    bmw abala sa ganyan battery registery/coding
    yes, i heard about this.
    those germans do tend to over-engineer things to death.
    heh heh.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yes, i heard about this.
    those germans do tend to over-engineer things to death.
    heh heh.

all of the cars sold in north america has this feature. its concept lies on the principle that if charging is disabled when you need more torque from a smaller more fuel efficient engine. same with climate control, the control module temporarily drops the compressor and the alternator to maximize power to the wheels in a panic mode (like getting out of the way of a speeding train). the alternator pulley has been reengineered too to have an overrunning clutch to reduce accessory belt wear and tear. technological advances paved the way to more fuel efficient, higher power to weight ratio. again, this is the technicians' time.
    "mechanics" don't seem to understand this. like my former supervisor in the early eighties who told me to remove the cooling system thermostat because according to him "pampagulo lang yan". people refuse to learn, adapt and accept the fact that we are in the future.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Just confirmed.. emtrac batteries are emcrap.. my replacement Q85 gave up after just a few months of use.. will never buy this brand again..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    TBH, this is largely unnecessary if they can only make the charging system a little smarter. It's not a freakin' pacemaker.

Yeah...agree.. thats stupid imho.. its just a battery.. like in a toy, will need replacement.. so no need to make it that smart.. even those in li-ion BMS gets stupid most of the time..

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    may naka try na ba nang Yokohama Battery? 3300 lang yung NS40 20 months warranty.. vs Motolite Enduro na nasa 4200 15 months warranty lang..

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

AFAIK this is done to do just that: make the charging system smarter.

Modern regulators are computer controlled and take various inputs like the battery type, alternator load, etc. to create a three mode charge similar to what you'd get from a CTEK or NOCO.

The old systems are always overcharging the battery a little bit, so the new cars with battery coding can theoretically make their batteries last longer.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    may naka try na ba nang Yokohama Battery? 3300 lang yung NS40 20 months warranty.. vs Motolite Enduro na nasa 4200 15 months warranty lang..

Please counter check that price is for Yokohama Premium not Super Premium. I bought Yokohama 2 months ago at that price around 3300 but it is the base version Premium w/ 16months warranty only.