New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage when changing battery to the next higher capacity? Assuming the uprated battery could still fit in the battery holder of the car and the terminal size is the same. Will it be an added cost only? Will it affect the performance of the alternator in the long run?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    No idea kung makakatulong... Pero nung 90's palaging bigger battery ang kinakabit namin sa mga cars namin... Hanggang 3SMF kung kasya

3. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by restituto View Post
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage when changing battery to the next higher capacity? Assuming the uprated battery could still fit in the battery holder of the car and the terminal size is the same. Will it be an added cost only? Will it affect the performance of the alternator in the long run?
    I recently change my battery and check the specs of 2smf amaron hi-life and 3smf amaron go... both have almost identical specs so I did choose the hi-life because of the added warranty period compared to go. Advantage of having the next higher capacity is of course warranty period and the reserved capacity of the battery will be much higher and also the cold cranking ampacity so it will deliver more current when you start your engine.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Off the top of my head:

Pros:
    1. Higher reserved capacity
    2. Higher cranking current capacity
    3. Will usually last a little longer than a smaller battery, all else being equal, as the depth of discharge (DoD) is shallower
    4. More forgiving when you have a lot of accessories and/or use them extensively with the engine off

Cons:
    1. Slightly higher upfront cost
    2. Typically heavier
    3. Potential fitment issues
    Last edited by oj88; July 29th, 2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added another "Pro"

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    No idea kung makakatulong... Pero nung 90's palaging bigger battery ang kinakabit namin sa mga cars namin... Hanggang 3SMF kung kasya
    in my case, i did the opposite.
    i got the next smaller battery.
    i did not notice any unfavorable finding.
    even the battery life did not seem compromised.
    gasoline engine.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    gasoline engine.
    naalala ko bigla... car ko lang pala gasoline nung 90's

lahat ng other cars namin were diesel, hence yung bigger battery helps during morning starts (especially during colder weather) dahil sa heater

for my car... since puro 3SMF yung spare namin... yun na din ginamit ko. hehehe

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    We do this too. Get the biggest battery that will fit. Another benefit is less down time because of the longer lifespan.

Noticed car manufacturers are fitting the smallest batteries they can get away with nowadays. You'll notice the batteries provided are always smaller than what the slot is designed for.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    gasoline engine.
    because under normal use, car battery is only used for starting the car.

now if you have an audio / video setup and use it while the engine is off, that will be a different story.

9. Join Date
    May 2017
    smaller battery means faster charging time, less concern for battery discharge

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thank you guys for some insights. Now its deciding time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast